Chad

Random thought thread

17,424 posts in this topic

Love that 360 camera, but mounted on yuour head it SUCKS. Took me 10 minutes of playing with the angles to see him hit the rock. Loved the foot drag too.

Tino likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright John, you might have a fellow 5th gen owner soon.

I am really torn, as I want a gen 1 cts-v for a daily driver, but a buddy is making the argument that I would not have to worry about the diff in the 5th gen...

We shall see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Tino and JohnC like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had one. There are different licenses.  Back then I think you needed to have two witnesses with that license to attest that you drove a car like that "to it's potential" or something.   My witnesses were some guys named  J.Beckman and F. Hawley.  (And I did hand that license to a Trooper at a road block.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JohnC said:

GT500 is coming.. Rumor has it, a 5.2L DOHC 9not GT350 flat plane crank though). Probable will share heads, etc.

 

MMMMMM Yes please!

Man I want a Wimbledon White gt500 in the worst way. If I had the choice between a gen2 ctsv or a 2013 up GT500, I would most likely take the GT500.

66sprint6 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Did you have to progress through the license classes or could you jump straight in to say S/G or S/C?

I went from nothing to S/G.  I could have gone S/C just the same, but preferred to stick with a car since I'd have more chances to drive a car than a rail.  I won a contest and the prize was a trip to a Frank Hawley driving school.   His method was to teach you the "mental" side of racing and the "process" to make a pass from starting the engine to shutting t off. Students got to make 6 passes.  All were WOT launches.  First pass was to end at 200', 2nd = 400", 3rd = 660",  last 3 full 1/4.  If all were completed correctly, you got your license. That's an expensive way to do it (if you have to pay).

Why are you interested in a license?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought about it for years, to drive anything faster than 6.40/eighth technically requires a comp license if the track adheres to NHRA rules even during non-NHRA events, ie NMRA.

 

Hawley's school looks to be the easiest way to get a license.  Scotty Richardson use to do some type of school at Beech Bend but I think all his stuff is just online videos now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And all of the safety gear, sa rated helmet, firesuit, arm restraints, neck collar, shoes, etc....  I guess you could borrow most of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed my class at FH.  I'd recommend it for someone who is interested in being better than the average "bracket racer".  Hawley gave lots of info about the physiology and psychology of a good driver (relaxed muscles are quicker than tense muscles, eyesight of young vs. old, ect) and Beckman followed that with instruction on staging and controlling the car.

What he SHOULD have said was USE YOUR VISOR.  A fiberglass body car making about a dozen 1/8 mile passes that then goes full 1/4 has a LOT of fiberglass blowing around.  I was the "leader" and made the first 1/4 pass with a chunk of something stuck in my closed left eye after about 1000'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ls1adam84 said:

Alright John, you might have a fellow 5th gen owner soon.

I am really torn, as I want a gen 1 cts-v for a daily driver, but a buddy is making the argument that I would not have to worry about the diff in the 5th gen...

We shall see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Standard diff in a SS isn't super strong.

Get the 5th Gen Zl1 if you want a strong rear diff. :yes:

And I mean the whole car because Chevy wants like $5k for the ZL1 axles, diff and ds. It would be cheaper to just buy a used ZL1 and it's already got the LSA like the Caddy.  :yes:

Parts: http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/gen5camaro/powertrain

 

ls1adam84 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

I enjoyed my class at FH.  I'd recommend it for someone who is interested in being better than the average "bracket racer".  Hawley gave lots of info about the physiology and psychology of a good driver (relaxed muscles are quicker than tense muscles, eyesight of young vs. old, ect) and Beckman followed that with instruction on staging and controlling the car.

What he SHOULD have said was USE YOUR VISOR.  A fiberglass body car making about a dozen 1/8 mile passes that then goes full 1/4 has a LOT of fiberglass blowing around.  I was the "leader" and made the first 1/4 pass with a chunk of something stuck in my closed left eye after about 1000'.

Ouch.

 

Note to self, vacuum a fiberglass bodied car after every pass. :lol:

 

Were the cars setup with delay boxes and throttle stops?  I read that the engines are basically stock crate GMPP ZZ572s, not meaning they are just weak prius motors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We left off the trans brake, no delay or throttle stops  HP I dunno, but it was an aluminum headed BBC, powerglide, fiberglass chassis car that ran 9.30s @ 147 if I recall.  6.0x at 1/2 track. That was 2000, they may have switched to VTEC'd Hondas by now.  :shrug::) 

What was cool (other than winning the class) was that after the class the students who'd earned their license put their names in a helmet and Beckman pulled name to race him.  It was me.  After 6 passes with NO concern for RT I needed to actually cut a light.  I improved a LOT, but I think he went .488 and had a 1/2 car on me, but my car was a little faster and I beat him by a little.  Students cheered me and some asked for my autograph. LOL   And "Fast" Jack Beckman autographed my winning slip.  He was in the process of earning top alcohol (or something) license with the desire to drive TF some day.  And we see who's autograph the students should have been getting.  lol

Edited by Ashley P
9.33 @ 147
Disney, Tino and Mike like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Disney said:

Figures... The only time you've gone fast on track was with a powerglide, transbrake, and a torque converter. What a hypocrite!!!!

Oh, yup, but that junky stuff was only fast 'cause it was in a Pontiac Firebird body. :D

Disney likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Oh, yup, but that junky stuff was only fast 'cause it was in a Pontiac Firebird body. :D

Powered by a Chevy motor....  With an automatic...... 

JohnC likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Disney said:

Powered by a Chevy motor....  With an automatic...... 

I guess they wanted to slow it down for beginners?? :shrug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 4:15 PM, JohnC said:

Standard diff in a SS isn't super strong.

Get the 5th Gen Zl1 if you want a strong rear diff. :yes:

And I mean the whole car because Chevy wants like $5k for the ZL1 axles, diff and ds. It would be cheaper to just buy a used ZL1 and it's already got the LSA like the Caddy.  :yes:

Parts: http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/gen5camaro/powertrain

 

No you see I am looking at a gen1 CTS-V with the diff made of glass, and the SS because of price point. I ain't a rich man here, I ain't Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.