Chad

Random thought thread

17,424 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

Just did the math on my fuel cost.

E85 on a 350 mile weekly average will save me about $14 over 93 pump gas even though I get less mpg's on the E85.

Currently, E85 is $1.60 a gallon and 93 is $2.60 at Speedway.

So, now you like illegal government subsidies?  lol   And the more you burn the higher priced your steaks become... :O

Cody likes this

2 hours ago, Ashley P said:

So, now you like illegal government subsidies?  lol   And the more you burn the higher priced your steaks become... :O

:shiftyeyes:

While I'm kidding with John, past federal support of ethanol is a fact.  Farmers who row crop love it.  Farmers who have livestock hate it.

Camaro ZL1 Runs a 10.00 with the Drag Development Program

In short, the Camaro ZL1 included in the Chevrolet Performance Drag Development Program laid down a 10.00-second quarter mile at 137.78 miles per hour. Most impressively, the ZL1 hit that 10-flat with a far shorter mod list than the Camaro SS that ran a 10.685.

The Drag Development Camaro ZL1

The ZL1 in the Chevrolet Performance Drag Development Program was powered by the supercharged 6.2L LT4 V8 mated to the 10-speed automatic transmission. Other factory components include the dual-mode exhaust system, electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD), a 2.85 rear gear set, Performance Traction Management system, Drive Mode Selector and the Performance Data Recorder.

Next, a list of “Drag Development Concept Features” were added to the ZL1. The list of updated power modifications includes a cold air intake system, a larger throttle body, a smaller supercharger pulley (for increased boost), and a 110-octane race fuel engine calibration. Additionally, unique Magnetic Ride Control calibration, unique transmission calibration, unique eLSD calibration, racing tires, a racing driver’s seat with a safety harness and a roll cage are included.

Finally, this Camaro ZL1 was outfitted with a few Drag Development components and Chevrolet Performance components that are already available for sale. This includes solid cradle bushings (PN 84341929) to minimize rear subframe and suspension geometry changes under hard launches. The small rear braking system (PN 84396515) helps fit the Weld Racing 16-inch rear race wheels (PN 88B-61058-GM). And, finally, a set of American Racing long-tube headers (PN CAV8-16178300LSNC).

When all of these components were added to the stock ZL1, it stormed down the quarter mile with an elapsed time of 10.00 and a trap speed of 137.78 miles per hour. On that run, the car pulled a 60-foot time of 1.415 seconds, showing just how well this modified ZL1 gets away from the starting line.

The video above from Chevrolet Performance explains the features of the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 in the Drag Development Program, but more importantly, we get to see the 10-second run firsthand, starting at the 2-minute mark in the video.

Tino likes this

On 11/15/2017 at 11:43 AM, Ashley P said:

While I'm kidding with John, past federal support of ethanol is a fact.  Farmers who row crop love it.  Farmers who have livestock hate it.

We're pretty partial to it! LOL

Ashley P likes this

^ I wonder how many times I would have been jailed if cameras were as prevalent 20 years ago.

Edited by Ashley P
ls1adam84 likes this

A kind woman helped my test the ABS on my 15 passenger van.   While I was going about 55, she pulled her Focus (?) out in front of me.  I jammed the brakes and heard my tires lightly squealing as I waited to see what she'd do.  She kept coming (across my lane), so I swerved right to try to miss behind her.  I ended up driving across the road she was pulling out of, missed her by a little.  All that happened in about 2 seconds.

ls1adam84 likes this

Chevy Slashes Price Of A Corvette By $9,000 As Sales Crash

GM’s (NYSE: GM) Chevy says it is “closeout” time for the 2017 versions of many of its cars. Among the vehicles with the largest discounts is the 2017 Corvette Z06 which is priced $9,107 below MSRP. The decision is ironic. Chevy just introduced, with great fanfare, the new Corvette Z1 which will be available in the Spring. Chevy describes the latest version as one of the world’s greatest supercars. Yet, Chevy is having trouble selling the current Corvette.

Corvette sales have been worse than dismal this year. Chevy sold 1,345 Corvettes in October, down 49% from October last year. Sales are off 20% for the first ten months, from 20,236 to 25,345.

The Z06 is Chevy’s current supercar, based on its own promotion. Chevy describes it as the “supercar they never saw coming”  That makes it the supercar before the new supercar ZR1.

The Z06 is expensive. A version of the car with several upgraded features costs $85,000. Some sports car drivers may think that is cheap based on the car’s 630 HP engine which takes it from zero to 60 in under three seconds.  Chevy argues that many other cars which go as fast are vastly more expensive. The makes it more puzzling the Chevy is having Corvette sales problems

Many car brands have high end models which most shoppers would never buy. These, the theory goes, bring shoppers into dealerships. People look at the supercar and then buy a $30,000 sedan with a small engine, or a pick-up. The Corvettes are trophies which do not sell well.

Among the most recent trophy cars which lost so many sales that it was discontinued is the Dodge Viper. The base version of the supercar cost $90,000, but some versions of the Viper sold for well over $100,000. Dodge sold 569 Vipers through the first ten months or 2017.

The Corvette may have reached the point at which it is near extinction. If not, it is certainly slipping to a point where it is nothing more than a curiosity. The curiosity is currently on sale at an extraordinary discount

http://247wallst.com/autos/2017/11/19/chevy-slashes-price-of-a-corvette-by-9000-as-sales-crash/

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Chevy Slashes Price Of A Corvette By $9,000 As Sales Crash

Corvette sales have been worse than dismal this year. Chevy sold 1,345 Corvettes in October, down 49% from October last year. Sales are off 20% for the first ten months, from 20,236 to 25,345.

Next car to get the axe:  The Cadillac that's stealing the 'vette thunder.