Chad

Random thought thread

16,227 posts in this topic

Thanks for the help guys. My buddy bought a LQ4 for his 4th gen camaro. I'll probably be asking lots more questions when it's time to put it in.

He wants to make around 500 and keep it all motor. Is it possible or is he dreaming.

What would be some combos that would get him close to that power?

Also I'll have my truck paid off next month. I might get me something newer to play with. We'll see what happens.

JohnC and ls1adam84 like this

21 minutes ago, Tino said:

Thanks for the help guys. My buddy bought a LQ4 for his 4th gen camaro. I'll probably be asking lots more questions when it's time to put it in.

He wants to make around 500 and keep it all motor. Is it possible or is he dreaming.

Also I'll have my truck paid off next month. I might get me something newer to play with. We'll see what happens.

He going to build a n/a motor or?

Posted (edited)

Almost any engine can make 500 hp, but some will be much more durable and streetable than others.  What "price" is he willing to pay for 500 hp?   Lousy mileage?  Valvetrain wear?  93 octane only? 

(GM made 505 out of the LS7 427.  Getting the same out of smaller cubes will (generally speaking) be less durable and/or streetable.)

Edited by Ashley P

1 hour ago, Tino said:

500hp is pretty easy on an LQ4. Ported heads, good cam, good intake = 500+. Decide goals (500hp) decide budget, then pick route to get there.

ls1adam84 and Tino like this

58 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He going to build a n/a motor or?

N/A

1 minute ago, Disney said:

500hp is pretty easy on an LQ4. Ported heads, good cam, good intake = 500+. Decide goals (500hp) decide budget, then pick route to get there.

What heads would be good?

Should he go with the LS3 heads or some 243/799 heads?

ls1adam84 likes this

It's been a while since I've posted here, I guess life kinda got in the way. Had to put my hotrod on hold to build a home, i lost interest in my 1994 gt and it pretty much sat for a year. So as some of you know I sold it and got back behind a real 5.0! 8b56e6c7cfff29de221ffbb3005ab810.jpg

Ashley P, Disney, JohnC and 5 others like this

5 hours ago, Tino said:

N/A

What heads would be good?

Should he go with the LS3 heads or some 243/799 heads?

@Tino of the setups I know that make around that, you would be looking at 243 heads, or you could get the 317 heads milled down about .006" and run something like a 238/242 .605/.515 lift at 113 LSA (I am just putting a rough grid out there since this is a huge cam, but it would be streetable.) I would say with that setup a FAST 92 with a Nick Williams 92mm TB would be your best bet.

Of course Disney's idea of going with a place that will spec you something will be your best bet, I recommend Cunningham Motorsports in Temecula, CA as Ryne is a good buddy of mine and he will recommend a good solid grind. I do not know what he charges for a spec fee, but I can ask him if you want.

Otherwise LJMS (Little John Motorsports) is pretty spot on and he has some awesome cams.

Tino likes this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Chris said:

It's been a while since I've posted here, I guess life kinda got in the way. Had to put my hotrod on hold to build a home, i lost interest in my 1994 gt and it pretty much sat for a year. So as some of you know I sold it and got back behind a real 5.0! 8b56e6c7cfff29de221ffbb3005ab810.jpg

uh oh Matt @66Sprint6 looks like some competition

Edited by KNIGHT347
name
66sprint6, JohnC and Chris like this

Nice! :up:

I'll give you a call on my next off day so I can come see it.

Looks darn near red. Like that color a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the color is almost why I bought this one, I really wanted lightning blue but the competition orange is so unique I didn't want to leave it for anyone else. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tino and JohnC like this

If you look at the pictures carmax took you can see the orange. f68bbdf28d56565f855e142dc59003d9.jpg

JohnC likes this

40 minutes ago, Chris said:

It was $29k out the door with only 4030 miles.

My junk was $24k out the door with 16k miles on the clock. :w00t:

2010 performance for 1990's cost. :pleased:

Dang 2010 with only 16k on it, that's damn good!! I thought mine was good for almost 3 years old.

JohnC likes this

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Dang 2010 with only 16k on it, that's damn good!! I thought mine was good for almost 3 years old.

I've been DD'ing mine, so it's at 24k miles now.

Soon as I get done fixing some issues with the beetle, it'll be back to weekend race car duty. :lol:

Yeah I'm on the hunt for a cheap pick up, I'm not going to daily this car.

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah I'm on the hunt for a cheap pick up, I'm not going to daily this car.

I'm not too worried about it since I have no garage to keep it nice right now.

When I get a house with garage, then I'll park whatever new hotrod I get on nasty days and not DD it.