Chad

Random thought thread

15,574 posts in this topic

Of course it's disaster!   But if there's ANYTHING good about an automatic it's the MONEY they generate on the repair side!

ls1adam84 likes this

I purchased the STi January of this year, since then I've thought about what other sports cars I could have bought for a similar price; the Camaro is powerful, but I hear that the visibilit is terrible, the Focus RS has a stupid dealer markup, then there's the Mustang GT base model, I could possibly go with that, but I would probably end up in a YouTube video driving it into a crowd. I finally tell myself that I'm better off with a lower-powered AWD vehicle to keep myself from doing anything too stupid.

Cody likes this

I wouldnt second guess that purchase.  You like Subarus and its a cool car.  I love my base GT to death, Im a Mustang guy.  Hows the STI been treating you by the way???

Matt

3 hours ago, djoye said:

I purchased the STi January of this year, since then I've thought about what other sports cars I could have bought for a similar price; the Camaro is powerful, but I hear that the visibilit is terrible, the Focus RS has a stupid dealer markup, then there's the Mustang GT base model, I could possibly go with that, but I would probably end up in a YouTube video driving it into a crowd. I finally tell myself that I'm better off with a lower-powered AWD vehicle to keep myself from doing anything too stupid.

I can say, you get used to the visibility issues with the Camaro SS. You basically adapt. :yes:

Only time it sucks is pulling up to drive-thru's, ATM's etc. The low roof-line, when getting a Vinti at Starbucks, makes it feel almost like your playing the game 'Operation'. Take it in the window slow as not to hit the top or bottom. :rofl:

You have the back-up radar beeping to let you know how close you are to stuff, or you can open the door and look back. Newer Camaro's have a back-up camera.

You won't fly off roads because somehow GM has nailed down the nanny controls. I've had stability control kick in three times since I bought the car. :lol:

Fwiw, you don't need AWD because you have traction control. Stomp it and go! :3gears: 

You really need a 455hp  Camaro SS DD, @djoye! :love:

You can settle for a Mustang if you're just partial to the looks of it. :duck: 

Cody and ls1adam84 like this

Needed tires, bought tires.

Hopefully the third time back I will be finished.....:(

Hard to find good people today.

JohnC likes this

Who all is going to that Rolls & Digs race at Beech Bend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sponsoring it. I was supposed to be there but I had already booked a trip out of town I'm a little sad about it LOL all the rest of the guys from the shop will be there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Cody and JohnC like this

Really, 90% of the time you'll be best served by holding the low side pipe just before it enters the cabin. Add freon and it will get cold. Once you feel it "flash" or surge really really cold, then you're done.

I'm finally about to mess with it all now. I had one of the guys I graduated high school with pass so I've been busy with that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

. I've had stability control kick in three times since I bought the car. :lol:

I had stability control kick in (in an Express van) while attempting to slowly pull out of a parking lot.  It reduced power as I asked for more.  Good thing I wasn't trying to beat traffic or it would have caused an accident.  Thanks Nanny.  (Fixed it, bad speed sensor.)

This is what it is doing. Again sorry for the crap video. My camera lens is broke. It's at 50 on the low side and about 50 on the high. When the compressor comes on the low side goes down to 20 and the high side goes up to about 80 .

11 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

I wouldnt second guess that purchase.  You like Subarus and its a cool car.  I love my base GT to death, Im a Mustang guy.  Hows the STI been treating you by the way???

Matt

I really like the STi, it just needs more power, so I've been putting together a list of parts and it looks like I need to start aggressively saving money. :D

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

I can say, you get used to the visibility issues with the Camaro SS. You basically adapt. :yes:

Only time it sucks is pulling up to drive-thru's, ATM's etc. The low roof-line, when getting a Vinti at Starbucks, makes it feel almost like your playing the game 'Operation'. Take it in the window slow as not to hit the top or bottom. :rofl:

You have the back-up radar beeping to let you know how close you are to stuff, or you can open the door and look back. Newer Camaro's have a back-up camera.

You won't fly off roads because somehow GM has nailed down the nanny controls. I've had stability control kick in three times since I bought the car. :lol:

Fwiw, you don't need AWD because you have traction control. Stomp it and go! :3gears: 

You really need a 455hp  Camaro SS DD, @djoye! :love:

You can settle for a Mustang if you're just partial to the looks of it. :duck: 

I figured you must get used to the visibility, the B pillar in the STi is a bid wider than the old WRX and the wing is basically a D pillar, so it's more difficult to use my peripheral vision when changing lanes. I didn't think about traction control in those vehicles. Every so often my traction control light flashes, I've never turned it off so I don't know how much it's helping. Does the Camaro still stay planted fairly well without traction control?

7 minutes ago, djoye said:

I really like the STi, it just needs more power, so I've been putting together a list of parts and it looks like I need to start aggressively saving money. :D

I figured you must get used to the visibility, the B pillar in the STi is a bid wider than the old WRX and the wing is basically a D pillar, so it's more difficult to use my peripheral vision when changing lanes. I didn't think about traction control in those vehicles. Every so often my traction control light flashes, I've never turned it off so I don't know how much it's helping. Does the Camaro still stay planted fairly well without traction control?

At the drag strip, no issues with traction control off thus far. Surprising how good it hooks for a RWD car with 400hp.

On the street on cold winter days, TC off will produce a lot of tire spin at least until you get some heat in the tires.

Summer, I still need to see how it does with TC off during summer temps. :yes:

djoye likes this

This is what it is doing. Again sorry for the crap video. My camera lens is broke. It's at 50 on the low side and about 50 on the high. When the compressor comes on the low side goes down to 20 and the high side goes up to about 80 .

You need freon.

It can up. Low side about 60 now and the high side is about 325. Is the high side suppose to be hot?

Posted (edited)

Pressure (in PSI) is relatively close to temperature (in F).   Crap yes the high side is hot.   lol

Since you have ignored the advice of Disney and me (feeling output of evaporator) and instead are going by pressure readings, what pressures do you desire?

Some things to know:  what is ambient temp?  humidity?  is the condenser clean?  does it have good airflow?  is AC on max?  high blower?

Edited by Ashley P
ls1adam84 and Disney like this

Pressure (in PSI) is relatively close to temperature (in F).   Crap yes the high side is hot.   lol

Since you have ignored the advice of Disney and me (feeling output of evaporator) and instead are going by pressure readings, what pressures do you desire?

Some things to know:  what is ambient temp?  humidity?  is the condenser clean?  does it have good airflow?  is AC on max?  high blower?

Sorry I forgot about doing that. It is now blowing cold. I'll feel the evaporator here after I eat.

https://www.facebook.com/speedvideolive/videos/1612406968798972/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

NMRA Super Nationals 2017: The NMRA Ford SuperNationals at National Trail Raceway in Hebron, Ohio, feature multiple special events that will make it one of the largest Blue Oval events in 2017. Watch LIVE in HD on SpeedVideo http://www.speedvideo.com/live-event/nmra-super-nationals-2017/

https://livestream.com/accounts/17348103/events/6921367/player?width=960&height=540&enableInfoAndActivity=true&defaultDrawer=feed&autoPlay=true&mute=false

On 6/10/2017 at 9:37 AM, djoye said:

My GT is a TON more stable than any other ive owned or driven even with all the nannies off (fuse pulled) but I actually dont fool with that crap anymore.  I go everywhere in "Sport" mode.  I can do a burn out at the track or when playing around in Sport and Ive blown the tires off at the track and in the rain a couple times without it really interfering so long as it didnt pitch sideways which is when it will lightly reign you in.  Again, even without it the car is super stable and rediculously predictable...again compared to previous rwd cars Ive driven.  I used to curse that the 15+ Mustangs went to IRS but it launches well, hooks great, hops no worse than the solid axle S197 GTs at the Hill, rides amazing, handles great.  Oh...and I can see just fine outta mine oddly enough.  I thought Ide have issues but visibility is great. I still would love to have a Focus RS, I really enjoyed having a sporty 4 door and having the extra hook of awd woulda been awesome so Im betting your STI with some work would be amazing!!!  

Matt