Chad

Random thought thread

16,305 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Cody said:

Went to a good friend, church member and fellow machinist funeral yesterday. I bought all his tools and tool boxes off him a couple of years ago. I kept his name on all the tools and on the boxes, so I see his name everyday at work. He lived in Alabama but would come up every 6 weeks to pay bills at his mom's old house here in town. We would talk all the time about machining and cars. He was a machinist for Ford and then Chrysler. He owned 2 different vipers until he got older and then bought a srt4 neon. He would drive a g6 up all the time until he found out I liked cars and then he drove up his neon every time. At his funeral yesterday the guy who bought his viper drove it up and lead the line. 802c4b5dd39a124a62bacd398d5bf892.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hate to hear he passed. :(

RIP

Cody likes this

Hate to hear he passed.

RIP

His name was Jim Groom. I heard a lot of good stories when he had the viper. Apparently back in the late 90s bruceton had may day (having it today actually) and they had burnout competitions on the highway and he won every year with his viper lol he use to autocross it.

Also found out he was the founder/president of the tn/al viper club. That white acr was the vice president of it now. The purple and green was jims. 11d26ac842fa23e3bae092c06a53ce77.jpg685e047174a20e1783af5e587632c75e.jpgf3548e87241946b03d59de4c09921a1e.jpgd045b86b4e33363e7459aca7721c46f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JohnC and Ashley P like this

@Ashley P

So you were watching some bone stock ls cars racing huh? The only ones that run mid to high 7's are baby cam lsx cars, or lsx cars with a stock cam and a 150 shot.

Mine had a little cam (228/228 .588/.588 112 LSA) and a 150 shot and she ran high 10's in the 1/4.

Manual cars might be slow due to poor driving, and mostly it's because kids are able to get their hands on these cars and don't know how to drive them yet.

I was watching LS cars run slower than the "internet" says they go.   I have no idea how "stock" they were.  I do know that if I had a stock 69 GTO with tires, I would not be afraid of them in the 1/8.  

Which I assume means they were bone stock, because having worked on and been around a ton of them I know that they aren't that slow unless the driver sucks massively or they're bone stock.

I will say that I can't wait to LS swap the C10, it needs a better motor than an old carburetor motor.

Im curious where the heck has Eddie been recently? Im curious how the Boosted Camaro is doing/coming,

JohnC likes this

12 minutes ago, KNIGHT347 said:

Im curious where the heck has Eddie been recently? Im curious how the Boosted Camaro is doing/coming,

Shoot him a PM... :D

6 hours ago, ls1adam84 said:

Mine had a little cam (228/228 .588/.588 112 LSA) and a 150 shot and she ran high 10's in the 1/4..

56 minutes ago, ls1adam84 said:

Which I assume means they were bone stock, because having worked on and been around a ton of them I know that they aren't that slow unless the driver sucks massively or they're bone stock.

lol  I know what happened.   You never realized you were at a 1000' track! 

I know that internet claims are not what I've seen at the track, both from old LT1 camaros to new LSx stuff.  Now, there were plenty of LSx swapped things running in the 7s, while popping and spraying and spinning and breaking....

ls1adam84 likes this

My issue is I have a shitty Ram Air Intake and no WOT tuning with wide-band AFR gauge.

I'm about to solve those issues, though. :yes: 

My issue is I have a shitty Ram Air Intake and no WOT tuning with wide-band AFR gauge.

I'm about to solve those issues, though. :yes: 

And a terrible 60 foot.

JohnC likes this

And a terrible 60 foot.

It feels like it needs more rear gear, but that'll open up new issues like tire spin. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come out to the Hill and watch LS cars run.  Im talking production LS cars.  Theres an LS turbo Fox coupe that cant get a clean pass to save his life but its NASTY fast, but come look at the Camaros, GTOs etc.  They all run slower than what others around the world have and can acheive.  There is an LS1 (duals on one side) GTO with plenty of mods running 9.0's.  Cold air, exhaust, tune 5th gens are all running mid 8's.  Hell, watch the Coyote and 4.6 cars.  Good Lord they run some crazy high times out here.  Bad driver, wrong tires, bad air/elevation/temp, bad prep, whatever it is, Its a slower track on a hill in a hot location.  Most of the tracks around here are like that.  Take these same cars to a GOOD track and they will be quicker.  I used to go to the 1/4 mile in Bradenton Fl all the time to watch during the summers I spent out there.  Its a quick track I hear and I would love to see what I could do out there in some good air!  Another case in point, there are a couple guys on Mustang6G forums that run the same times Im running bone stock.  Bet they would run high 8's on a good day round here!!!

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

Is this the Chinese "Year of the automotive electrical problem"??   Duramax with a bad PCM, a KIA showing 158 mph in the parking lot (intermittently & a speed sensor didn't fix it), Grand Am w/fuel pump connection open under the floor mat,  Town and country died when hot, in drive, over 20% throttle...bad wire to the PCM up under the battery.

Cody likes this

Who's baddest, Chuck Norris or Ben Shapiro?   Only because Shapiro is rejecting Christ I'm calling Norris.  Ben is SHARP otherwise.

ls1adam84 likes this

11 hours ago, Chad said:

Got to meet Joey for the first time. Thanks for the part. Maybe I'll work on the vette this weekend.

You need to hit the dragstrip with us some time. :yes: 

66sprint6 likes this

Yeah I know there are a lot of kids with LS powered cars that can't drive, also people that don't make adjustments for the track they are at that end up blowing the tires out, or just poorly planned modifications.

However, I am going to be getting a 4.8 for the C10, I am helping a buddy get his Subaru Legacy up and running, which he is giving me his 4.8 in return for the labor.

I can't wait to get a nice reliable motor in this truck.

66sprint6 likes this

It's an old original 350, it has that old crappy carburetor technology... 

Yes I am joking around, but I am getting a 4.8 for it.