Chad

Random thought thread

16,288 posts in this topic

Man that sucks, Ashley. :(

Guess you can try to make it positive and use this as an opportunity to restart working on your ride.

Make it perfect and faster! That's the car guy way. :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZL1 1LE

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/camaro/2018-chevrolet-camaro/2018-chevrolet-camaro-zl1/2018-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1le/

According to intel, General Motors is working on a naturally aspirated, 5.5-liter small block V8 that will push 700 hp. And that engine is supposedly being readied for the next Z/28 with an LT6 designation.

Aluminum, DOHC, smaller displacement, more power...welcome to 1998 Chevy.  They are the kings of taking old tech and doing great things with it tho!  :lol:

Its good stuff tho, I love watching for what either side of the "big 3" have been fiddling with lately, shoot they are even collaborating now (10 speed auto).

Matt

Cody and mstrpth like this

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Man that sucks, Ashley. :(

Guess you can try to make it positive and use this as an opportunity to restart working on your ride.

Make it perfect and faster! That's the car guy way. :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I guess I'm not a car guy anymore!  lol    It takes time, money, and effort.

17022354_10154884615766259_4327108265570

I've got some less flattering photos somewhere...

Well, I guess I'm not a car guy anymore!  lol    It takes time, money, and effort.

17022354_10154884615766259_4327108265570084419_n.jpg?oh=895836be18fac30e98b1bd96f79aa1a2&oe=593C9AE3

I've got some less flattering photos somewhere...

I'll come take it off your hands if you just want to ditch it and save yourself some heartache

Slim's Speed Shop

Cody likes this

Posted (edited)

^ What a fine offer.:boxing: lol

(Can you guarantee safe storage for about 10 years while I save money and gumption for a repair??  I prefer climate controlled, below ground, and oxygen free storage.) :yes:

Edited by Ashley P
Cody likes this

^ What a fine offer.:boxing: lol

(Can you guarantee safe storage for about 10 years while I save money and gumption for a repair??  I prefer climate controlled, below ground, and oxygen free storage.) :yes:

Sure but I require the title for storage hahaha

Slim's Speed Shop

Ashley P likes this

14 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Aluminum, DOHC, smaller displacement, more power...welcome to 1998 Chevy.  They are the kings of taking old tech and doing great things with it tho!  :lol:

Its good stuff tho, I love watching for what either side of the "big 3" have been fiddling with lately, shoot they are even collaborating now (10 speed auto).

Matt

You do know that Chevy had a DOHC V8 in the Corvette ZR1 (LT5) in the EARLY 90's, right?

From 1990-1995 to be exact. :yes:

http://www.superchevy.com/features/vemp-0903-1990-1995-corvette-zr1/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/reviews/a5975/1990-chevrolet-corvette-zr-1-drive-flashback/

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/07/17/the-king-of-the-hill-the-1990-corvette-zr-1-marks-its-25th-anniversary/

lol

I tried to delete that one, but...I didn't know how!  LOL (It's taken years to figure out how to put pics up....forget taking them down!)

(When my infants/toddlers look like that I give 'em 3 minutes then change their diaper! lol)

Cody likes this

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Oh I havnt forgotten!  It wasnt mainstream tho and didnt catch on.  I also havnt forgotten the Foreign car makers that have been doing it since the beginning of time either!  Its just funny that the ole big inch, pushrod warriors are coming out with a nasty nasty nasty small(er) displacement DOHC setup finally.

I love pushrod motors and know diddly squat about the voodoo tomfoolery that goes on inside an OHC motor much less how to do much as far as working on them.  I sure do enjoy having 400+ in a streetable, comfortable, tame until you kick it car thats more efficient than I coulda ever expected from the factory tho.  Technology is amazing.  Unfortunately I wont be affording much of this new tech (new Coyote, VooDoo, Z28 CTSV etc) but Im happy to finally have something quick and comfortable again.

EDIT: I like the read on "Snake Skinner" what a car!

Matt

JohnC likes this

wait that's Ashley P? not what I pictured.

I was thinking

2017-03-02_8-04-22.png

I thought the same thing exactly and then he showed up with Jeff and was I was like that's not Ashley lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just bought the HP Tuners VCM Suite. I'm going to try and learn to tune my junk myself just for fun.

I'll pick up the tuning manual later. It costs as much as the freaking tuner. :shake:

Cody likes this

6 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Oh I havnt forgotten!  It wasnt mainstream tho and didnt catch on.  I also havnt forgotten the Foreign car makers that have been doing it since the beginning of time either!  Its just funny that the ole big inch, pushrod warriors are coming out with a nasty nasty nasty small(er) displacement DOHC setup finally.

I love pushrod motors and know diddly squat about the voodoo tomfoolery that goes on inside an OHC motor much less how to do much as far as working on them.  I sure do enjoy having 400+ in a streetable, comfortable, tame until you kick it car thats more efficient than I coulda ever expected from the factory tho.  Technology is amazing.  Unfortunately I wont be affording much of this new tech (new Coyote, VooDoo, Z28 CTSV etc) but Im happy to finally have something quick and comfortable again.

EDIT: I like the read on "Snake Skinner" what a car!

Matt

I'm actually liking this big pushrod motor over the 4.6L SOHC I had. I like how it runs and delivers the power. :yes:

It's no faster than my modded GT, yet. GT ran 8.74 vs 8.80 in the SS. My 8.80 in the SS was in cooler air since the GT ran that in July heat and humidity.

I've never driven a yote. I wanted one, but decided to try the LSx first.

I got to say, I'd have no problem buying another Camaro so long as it isn't butt ugly.

Cody likes this

I agree with you...I like the power delivery of the torquey pushrod motors much better for sure, its what Im most used to at least.

Ill come out and say (again) that at first, I wasnt impressed with the Coyote.  Down low it felt like a slug, wouldnt turn the 275's over with a quick stab of the pedal (which was actually just wore out stock tires not making any noise) and it just wasnt what Im used to powerband wise.  Once I got used to it, things were different.  It spins the tires at the TOP of the RPM band in 2nd from a quick stab rather than down low and it loves to rev which can become addicting.  Added basic mods and its even more addicting.  I will forever love the down low grunt of the old Windsor based motors (and from what I hear the LS powered cars) but this high revving HP stuff can be fun too once you get used to it.  And to be honest, it has plenty of torque to do anything I need anytime I need it to do it.  

You can come check out the GT anytime you want, its spooky how tame it is when just puttering around town.  It feels planted (grip a plenty) if not a tad heavy under light throttle acceleration and cornering etc and that was where I was a bit disappointed early on.  I then learned that all you have to do is push the go pedal a tad further down and it will let the freak out and not put it away till you get spooked and let out and thats when I started to understand why people love these motors.

Matt   

mstrpth likes this

On 3/2/2017 at 8:27 PM, higherpowerracing said:

Did you ever find a coyote for your son's coupe? I have 2 of them and 3 6r80's at the moment

Slim's Speed Shop

Nope, still shopping. 

@Ashley P That really sucks man. She is a beauty, and you can fix her!

So the wife and I took a look at a house in Spring Hill, but we will see if they accept our offer. It will be nice to be in a non emsissions county and we will be able to build a small shop and put a lift in it. I will share it when we hear back about the offer.

66sprint6, mstrpth, Cody and 3 others like this