Chad

Random thought thread

15,624 posts in this topic

In 2010 the GT was a 3V 4.6.  The Coyote that replaced it consistently put down 350-370whp stock depending on the dyno.  Put a Coyote under your hood and it would, in fact and only for the sake of your comment, make your Camaro quicker than it is as it sits.  Now, would it be an economiocal or wise swap, HA!  HCI and a tune and you will be running quite well, auto or not!  Toss some sticky tires on it and itll be a consistent and fun track toy that you can cruise home in without tiring your right arm or left leg ;)

:lol:

As it sits tho, the times you posted are all over the range of times I was running.  On a good run where I get it all right Ill be a couple tenths quicker but you will run consistently and I wont which will mean I had better be on my game.  That Hemi wagon in some of Joey's videos is one consistent MOFO.  He's running roughly what you are but he had my number all night.  FINALLY I put together a decent enough run to run him down and take the win. When you add power Im gonna be forced to add some stickier rubber and driver mod to keep ahead of you if even!

Matt

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

About to hit 18,000 miles in the Slomaro!

c90987cf51b5913684927632f0e22adc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats roughly the miles I had on mine when I got it in July...now it is knocking on 30k!!!  I like to drive it too much lol

Matt

Best miles of your life?

Ide say some of the best in my humble GT, shoot...the mile and change I drove your R were amazing!  Speaking of awesome miles...hows the ole Blue...er...GreyCoupe doin???

Matt

JohnC likes this

55 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

In 2010 the GT was a 3V 4.6.  The Coyote that replaced it consistently put down 350-370whp stock depending on the dyno.  Put a Coyote under your hood and it would, in fact and only for the sake of your comment, make your Camaro quicker than it is as it sits.  Now, would it be an economiocal or wise swap, HA!  HCI and a tune and you will be running quite well, auto or not!  Toss some sticky tires on it and itll be a consistent and fun track toy that you can cruise home in without tiring your right arm or left leg ;)

:lol:

As it sits tho, the times you posted are all over the range of times I was running.  On a good run where I get it all right Ill be a couple tenths quicker but you will run consistently and I wont which will mean I had better be on my game.  That Hemi wagon in some of Joey's videos is one consistent MOFO.  He's running roughly what you are but he had my number all night.  FINALLY I put together a decent enough run to run him down and take the win. When you add power Im gonna be forced to add some stickier rubber and driver mod to keep ahead of you if even!

Matt

When I ran the 8.80, I was in Drive, not Sport Mode. I had sat in the staging lanes for a LONG time idling with the AC on. The motor was heat soaked.

The car is bone stock (No Tune) other than an old version of a Vararam intake that is making it idle and run like ****, so it's probably hurting HP more than helping right now. The Corsa catback isn't adding much hp and has no H or X mid-pipe, so that is power left on the table I suppose. The MATCO scanner shows it's pulling 10% fuel and sometimes more. Timing and fuel are both way off.

I'm not making excuses. It's slow right now and has issues. But once I iron out those (tuning) issues and start doing bolt-ons, I think the LSx will be giving you a good run for the money. Even behind a power robbing slush-box. :D

We can do a mod for mod and comparison if you really want to grudge. We'll see which car comes out on top at the end of the day. Having an auto and being down on compression due to the L99 DOD and VVT junk puts me at a disadvantage, so you have a good start to be faster and stay there mod for mod. :yes:

Cody likes this

The auto will only make me work harder.  If Im off my game then Im screwed but if I get it right then it will be a different story.  Right now Im only a tune ahead of you in mods.  Ide love to toss some longtubes on this thing and maybe a GT350 intake but I cant justify the money at the moment but if you wanna get your tune sorted out and line em up Im ALWAYS up for some fun runs!  Shoot, Ill run you even when you go HCI/Tune/supercharger/coyote swap/6speed/trade for a 2018 GT, I dont care will be a blast either way!

Matt

JohnC likes this

33 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

The auto will only make me work harder.  If Im off my game then Im screwed but if I get it right then it will be a different story.  Right now Im only a tune ahead of you in mods.  Ide love to toss some longtubes on this thing and maybe a GT350 intake but I cant justify the money at the moment but if you wanna get your tune sorted out and line em up Im ALWAYS up for some fun runs!  Shoot, Ill run you even when you go HCI/Tune/supercharger/coyote swap/6speed/trade for a 2018 GT, I dont care will be a blast either way!

Matt

Oh it's on. I'll run you whenever! Just gimme a time and place (track only)! :3geas:

For sure!!!  We never could get the Mustangs together back in the day!  Lemme see if I cant get a Tues or Fri evening here soon and we can hit up Union Hill now that its opening up this coming month.  I wont be able to make Beach Bend with yall but let me know if you can do any of the weeknight races and Ill make it happen.  When Tax Season is over you will probably find me out there at least once a week for sure!

Matt

JohnC likes this

3 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

For sure!!!  We never could get the Mustangs together back in the day!  Lemme see if I cant get a Tues or Fri evening here soon and we can hit up Union Hill now that its opening up this coming month.  I wont be able to make Beach Bend with yall but let me know if you can do any of the weeknight races and Ill make it happen.  When Tax Season is over you will probably find me out there at least once a week for sure!

Matt

:D

5 am = Rough weather in w ky.  Radar showed some rotation over out house then.  Basement FTW. 

Brother called.  My Goat is where he stayed.  Building fell on it.

66sprint6 likes this

19 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

5 am = Rough weather in w ky.  Radar showed some rotation over out house then.  Basement FTW. 

Ouch, that sucks.

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

When I ran the 8.80, I was in Drive, not Sport Mode. I had sat in the staging lanes for a LONG time idling with the AC on. The motor was heat soaked.

Was this so you could show the wife that the future mods were worth the money because of how much your time improved? :D 

JohnC likes this

3 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Wait so the GTO got smashed?  How bad?  Hope everyone is ok!

Matt

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

:D

Im a spoiler, couple stickers, 8 cylinders, a couple doritos and a full head of hair away from this clip...and your car isnt green

:roflmao:

Matt

JohnC likes this

That's not good. How bad?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We're fine.  The Goat was at Mom's.  She and everyone else are fine.

GTO got damaged.  It, a Caddy, and a 3/4 Chevy were under a trussed roof held up by posts.  The posts snapped, the roof blew/fell on the vehicles.  Goat has a crease across the roof a few inches deep.  That shortened the roof enough to pull it away from the A pillar every so slightly, and cause the B pillar "buttresses" to pull up ever so slightly at the trunk joint.  The LF fender has a small crease in the top, and the hood has minor dents near the front.  No glass broke.

The caddy and truck both lost back glasses and have smaller roof damage and more hood damage.  The rear of the vehicles faced the wind, the truck tailgate was down yesterday but up and latched this morning.  It blew shut.

I took pics.  Maybe in a few years I'll figure out how to share them. :) 

Maybe I can get pics up here tomorrow and give some updates.  Maybe this can all become a "long term project" soon.

Dad's car getting crumpled would have ticked me off some years ago.  Now it's like "a healthy family, so what about the cars".

Cody likes this

Good way to look at it for sure...hate to hear about the damage but like you said, the good news about your Son is way too awesome to let a damaged possession bring you down!

Matt

Cody and Ashley P like this

That bites.  So, you need a roof?  I'm guessing it will be cheaper to fix the fender and hood than replace them.

Posted (edited)

Mike, I dunno.  With my limited abilities I can fix the hood.  I can probably fix the fender.  I know a man who can fix the roof....I'd like to get him to teach me* how and let me do it.  He's been asking me 456789 questions as he finishes the wiring on a 40 Ford coupe, maybe now's a good time to ask.

Of course, if those parts were available dirt cheap, why not?

And I'm sorta thrilled it's not much worse.  I debated last evening about bringing it home and putting it back in the sheet metal shed.  It's very wind resistant, but surrounded by trees.  I figured there was very little difference in locations.  Guess I should have made a spreadsheet, huh Mike?  lol

*If he can teach me how to work metal I can salvage a LOT more of my 69 GTO (which I parked on it's roof 19.75 years ago).  And just last week I was talking to a body man about putting my LeMans roof onto that GTO.   I'm running outta roofs. :smirk:

Edited by Ashley P
Cody likes this

Here is what my buick/pontiac friend said.

Thankfully that roof is the same for GTO/Chevelle/Cutlass/Skylark.  Not too long ago we had a parts car that could have donated a roof but it’s been scraped now.

http://www.autometaldirect.com/--p-1389.html

http://www.autometaldirect.com/-c-23_141_142.html

http://www.autometaldirect.com/--p-3524.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/AMD/106/600-3466/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710637114&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15769068431&CATCI=pla-223037415191&ref=paid&brand=&channel=Shopping&gclid=CKXZru7xtdICFUZbhgodfn4P2A

Make sure to buy the roof skin made by AMD (Auto Metal Direct) because they always make the most accurate and best fitting sheet metal panels. There are more than one company that make hoods, so be sure that they use AMD for it too.  There are used hoods out there but I’d just buy a reproduction for that car. We’ve not used one but I’ve heard the AMD stuff fits pretty good.

Cody, JohnC and Ashley P like this