Chad

Random thought thread

16,290 posts in this topic

Mike, you had such great ideas I was about to buy tickets in your name, but then I read "reproduce the fox body"....

Cody, nice shelving.  I work with someone who is a shelf magician; he turns every horizontal surface into a shelf...like the wheeled battery charger. :yes:

I don't have a big garage so I have to use my space wisely

Random computer Q:  my laptop has a touchpad and Windows 10.  The touchpad sometimes detects my breath and deletes my post.  This happens more often when I put more thought, time, and keystokes into my reply.  How can I...change the sensitivity?  Is that what I need to do?

Chances are you might want to see if there is an update for the driver. I couldn't tell you without knowing laptop manufacturer, model, and touchpad model.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Ashley P likes this

I liked y'alls idea of getting the left out of the media and our lives. 

My phone (Samsung s6) is a liberal mofo. When I type in the word gun the next word that pops up is control. I typed the letter o and it wants to spell Obama. 

I'll buy tickets in the morning on the way home.

Cody, ls1adam84 and JohnC like this

Read on another site: 

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/01/prweb13158191.htm

"NRA is blocking ability of transportation professionals from defending themselves, and they continue being murdered - frequently as a consequence. "

That's the claim in quotes and the link to "support" the claim.  How would you reply to him, John?

Edited by Ashley P

1 hour ago, Cody said:

When was the last time you drove it?

If you're asking me, I drove it to the gas station the other day lol. Even if I don't drive my shitbox much I still like to start it and let it run for a bit every once an a while. 

Cody likes this

Mike you know a lot of the big churches around here already have a service for the homeless right? We bus them from downtown to our churches and setup cots and feed them and sit and talk with them, pray for them if they want it. They get showers and clean clothes, we pack them some food to have with them.

I actually bought a lottery ticket, and I don't know what I would do if I win, I know I would spend a lot of money trying to help people that truly need it, and not by just giving it to them but finding a way to help them learn a way to make it for themselves. More over I had an idea for a non profit that we would have mentors/teachers come in and teach at risk youth, or people looking for work, how to do useful trades like welding, IT, or some other trade like that and work with them on their resume's and getting them a decent set of clothes to be able to go on interviews, if they needed a safe place to stay and sleep then we would have a section of dorms for them as well. I think I would actually make that idea come to fruition.

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

The internet is a reality check. Uncensored and really shows the violence and death all around us. All the more reason to be ready for ANYTHING if you know what I mean. :meh:

Oh yeah, I understand that for sure.

JohnC likes this

2 minutes ago, ls1adam84 said:

Mike you know a lot of the big churches around here already have a service for the homeless right? We bus them from downtown to our churches and setup cots and feed them and sit and talk with them, pray for them if they want it. They get showers and clean clothes, we pack them some food to have with them.

Yes, I know that.  My church does it also.  The other 5 days during the week the place is empty.  My church has an annual budget of 4-5 million a year.  It's constantly spent to make the church bigger and bigger.  Yes they spend some money on mission trips and a few other things, but it doesn't compare to the portion spent on building.  Is a 50 acre mega church necessary for worship? Absolutely not.  The church is the people, not the place.  Those millions could do so much more.  Some churches might be better than others with this, but this is my experience.  It's a place to gather for worship, not a trophy to show off to the neighborhood.

ls1adam84 and Ashley P like this

Yeah I hear ya, I got to Clearview Baptist and they are huge on going and serving. we have Room at the Inn several nights a week there and host other events. I completely agree with you that it is about the people and not the building, that is an area that I wish more churches would understand, but hey it's not my place to judge them for their actions, God knows I am not perfect, but it is frustrating to see churches become wrapped up in themselves.

Oh yeah and I would buy Barrett 50 cal with the 29" fluted barrel and the Leupold mark 4 M1 scope and BORS and barrett ultra high rings for all active members of streetntrack lol.

Edited by ls1adam84

When I say help them.  I don't mean just give them food and a place to sleep.  I mean treat their alcohol, drug, mental problems etc.

I may split this off to the political/ religious section.  But here goes.

Around Thanksgiving I went to a wedding for a member of my wife's family in Brentwood.  It was at Revenant Church on Franklin Rd. near Concord Rd.  I think some people refer to it as the castle church.  This wasn't just a normal wedding.  Every member in the church was there along with family and friends.  They said numerous times during the ceremony that there were over 800 people there.  It took nearly two hours for the ceremony because half way through the wedding was paused to give an hour long sermon.  It was being broadcast over the internet.  The preacher was mostly talking to the online watchers during the sermon.  As an outsider to this church it seemed like an hour long Billy Mayes commercial.  Their "pitch" was to sell everything you own, move to Brentwood and give all your money to the church.  She actually said that multiple times.  4 people gave testimonies saying they did just that.    Of course even as a relatively new Tennessean you can see that moving to Brentwood isn't much of a sacrifice.  She touted how many people were at the wedding and how much money they had spent on the church and how much the wedding cost.  They played eerie background music while she was talking.  It was truly a show.  This preacher lady was the typical TV evangelist with the big hair and too much makeup.  See for yourself.  http://www.weighdownchurch.com/  http://www.remnantfellowship.org/About-the-Leaders/Gwen-Shamblin

The whole thing weirded me and every other family member we spoke to completely out.  She appears to market her church to wealthy people around the US and tells them that they can find happiness by selling it all and giving it all to her.  Very little mention of salvation, mostly just give me your money.  The rest of the time she talked about how great and grand her church was.  I'm convinced she lived there in the church and she was using the money coming in to continue building her "castle".  It's places like this that give the other Christian churches a bad name.

The only missing was Jim Jones kool-aid at the reception. :D

ls1adam84 likes this

Whoa, yeah that is not right at all. The reminds of Joel Osteen and his whole deal.

Yeah I might just have to pray that God does work with that church.  I believe I know exactly which church that is, we had a class there on adoption information. 

17 minutes ago, ls1adam84 said:

... we had a class there on adoption information. 

It's a slow day here at work, so time for some more craziness that I'm sure you can empathize with.

The same part of my wifes family that goes to this church were trying to adopt a kid a couple years ago.  They are fairly wealthy, their kids were teens (one was the subject of the wedding above).  They wanted to adopt a young child.  I'm not sure through who or how that all happens.  They were working to adopt a ~3-4 year old boy from an orphanage in Peru.  We went to and help with a few fund raisers they had at their restaurant.  They raised 10's of thousands multiple times.  As I understand, some of this money was used to travel to visit the boy.  Some was given as gifts to the orphanage, which seemed to be some accepted practice in their culture.  Some was I'm sure used to pay fee's to the agency.  They made multiple week long trips to see the boy and If I had to guess they spent way over $100K all said and done.  He grew to like them and they grew really attached to him.  Then one day they announced they were finally going there to bring him home, but it would take a couple weeks there to get it all done.  They came home with nothing.  At the last minute the boy's demeanor changed and he became angry around them and the orphanage canceled it all.  It was really sad for them, like loosing a child.  To us as outsiders, it looked like they got scammed.

Why is it so difficult and expensive for responsible adults to adopt children?  If I won the lottery I might dig into that issue also.

JohnC and Cody like this