Gardening tips for hungry people

Ashley P

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

If I had a farm, no way I'd sell it.

I want at least 5 acres, but prices have gone up too much for me.

Would love to raise my own food. Cows, chickens, lamb, veggies.... 

Gardening is a game....where most folks lose.   I've put dozens of hours into ours, still the squash bugs have ravished the squash and pumpkins.   I wanted tomatoes to can, but they're not doing very good either....some are wilting as of a few days ago (along with random sunflowers).  I've got no idea why.  Nothing external, so I wonder if a worm is in the stems.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Gardening is a game....where most folks lose.   I've put dozens of hours into ours, still the squash bugs have ravished the squash and pumpkins.   I wanted tomatoes to can, but they're not doing very good either....some are wilting as of a few days ago (along with random sunflowers).  I've got no idea why.  Nothing external, so I wonder if a worm is in the stems.

our tomatoes did pretty well although they weren't pretty. We canned about 100lbs worth. Still have some coming in but have taken most plants out. Squash did well, cantaloupe too but thats coming to an end. watermelon, beans, and peppers are still producing good. ended up with about 40lbs of potatoes, moles got the rest. Pest were pretty bad this year but we also go fully organic with ours. It's almost time to start the fall garden, should be easier pest wise. 

We spent the extra money this year and completely covered the ground and put in a drip line. That made ground maintenance = zero.

Short vid of me burning the plant holes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last two years I tried the Cherokee on your recommendation, they never produced.  

Are those Red Pontiac potatoes?  

Judging by the pics, I'm low on knowledge...especially if your organic.  I used Sevin spray a few times trying to hold off the squash bugs, but repeated rains washed away my chemical warfare.

On 8/12/2023 at 8:59 AM, JohnC said:

You photoshop that? Never seen so many bucks in one spot before! How much for the lot/land next door? (I couldn't afford it but curious.)

straight from my cell phone. I saw them once before and carried my camera for weeks and never saw them again. The next foggy morning we had and they show up. 

I was hoping to get a good picture but it's too dark now at that time of day.

That lot was purchased last year by a family out of Florida. 900+- acres

6 hours ago, mstrpth said:

straight from my cell phone. I saw them once before and carried my camera for weeks and never saw them again. The next foggy morning we had and they show up. 

I was hoping to get a good picture but it's too dark now at that time of day.

That lot was purchased last year by a family out of Florida. 900+- acres

Umm, 900 acres? Good lord! They got to be wealthy. Hope they farm it. Some good NON-GMO USDA Organic food would kick-ass!

What's the address? We can look it up on Zillow or Realtor if it was listed publicly and see what they paid for it. 

16 hours ago, JohnC said:

Umm, 900 acres? Good lord! They got to be wealthy. Hope they farm it. Some good NON-GMO USDA Organic food would kick-ass!

What's the address? We can look it up on Zillow or Realtor if it was listed publicly and see what they paid for it. 

Hard to say. 3995 Chapel HIll Rd 37040 is one of the farms they bought. They also bought a few surrounding farms. I know they own a few houses in a few states. They're not hurting for anything money wise

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Yeah i wouldn't start the tomatoes yet. 

We grew them in the raised beds which consisted of (bottom to top) rotting wood, leaf compost, soil, straw. 

Carrots aren't bothered by frost and actually grow sweeter in cool weather. 

It was a test to see how they would turn out. They were slow to grow but came out pretty sweet as far as carrots go. 

I've heard of people growing them under houses and only digging up what and when they needed some. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ashley P said:

The reason tomatoes tempted me was my wife bought some cherry tomatoes she really liked.  I wanted to grow that variety.

I'll try to document our gardening this year a little better. We start all of our seeds inside minus a few cherry tomatoes that sprout up in the same spot yr after yr. 

• Like 1