modified MAF sensor

Ashley P

Anybody ever modified a MAF on a Mitsubishi (or anything)?    I've fixed an intermittent dying on stops by replacing the MAF.   However, now it generates lean codes.   Fuel trims are about 12% long, and often over 23% short.    All input data looks accurate.   Fuel pressure is perfect.   Thus....

I believe the aftermarket MAF is not accurate.  Multiple replacements are the same.   OEM is unavailable.   I'd love to "adjust" the MAF until fuel trims are close to 0.   Any ideas?

That style of MAF cannot be "adjusted" to increase the airflow signal. If you're reading +LT and STFT then you would need the MAF to see more air. Impossible todo with that style of MAF. Checkthe fuel pressure to make sure it's in spec.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that would be the hard way.    I simply applied some tape across a section of the MAF screen to block about 15% of the area.   The sensing wire is away from that area and will see a greater percentage of incoming air.

Now the STFT ranges from -5% to 15%.   Before it was about 15% to 24%. 

During open loop WOT, does the ECU use the MAF?

• 3 weeks later...