Cody

Chevy Nova LSx Build Nova build and questions

Rate this topic:

700 posts in this topic

Well I am getting my nova in a couple months and need to start planning out the build. I want to do all the work that I can do myself. Idc if it takes forever or I mess up a lot of stuff in the process. I want to learn and this car has a lot of sentimental value to me and I would be happier if I built it.

First is getting rid of the 406 SBC and powerglide. If any of you know anyone who wants an alcohol 406 that runs 5.90s/9.80s let me know. The engine hasn't been raced in about 3 years so i would refresh it with new bearings and rings.

On to good news. It already had a mini tub, heidts front end, adjustable suspension and a leaf spring set up built and designed Ron Rhodes. I was going to do a 4 link but its cutting 1.2x 60 ft times. Also has a line lock and cage nhra certified to run in the 9s.

My question is what computer set up to go with. I am thinking Holley efi. I am going to do either a 370 or 408 ls engine with ls3 heads. I also want to do a turbo 400 built by Cameron powers (built barry's trans guy). Idk who to build at least the short block. I was thinking Texas speed or Thompson motorsports. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it

JohnC likes this

My advice is worth what you pay for it.

Don't build something with an unending schedule. You'll grow frustrated and quit or like me, change your mind.

Build something within a realistic budget. If it costs more than you can afford you'll run into the same issues.

I say JY 6.0 with whatever power adder you want. You can learn to tune it without fear of hurting it, you won't have to wait forever for it to be built and it will help you with the budget and schedule. After the car is running build your 408 and swap it out. If I were doing a built LS to drag race, it would have Holley. But the stock stuff is pretty awesome for a street car.

Cody likes this

My budget will be around 10k. Maybe a little more depending on what I sell the motor and trans for. And i get what you are saying but I would rather just do a 370 and ls3 heads. Want to keep it na for awhile and later down the road turbo it. Just stock crank and forged rods and pistons.

Why spend more money when you don't have to? Get that j/y LSx like Mike said and turbo that mofo. :hyper:

Barry's Blazer should be all the proof you need to see to know where it can take you in the future. :yes:

Cody likes this

I'd like to have a forged bottom end. All I want is a 6.0 ls bored .03 over. But keep talking...I may just buy a junkyard engine and turbo it

JohnC likes this

I third Mike. junkyard 6.0 and turbo it. That way if and when it blows you won't won't be out to much money. Once you get the tunning part down and figure out all the bugs then go ahead and build you a stout engine. That's my plan with my mustang

JohnC and Cody like this

What about doing the Holley efi over factory harness or a mega/microsquirt. And what about fuel system? I forgot about all that

Mega and Microsquirt seem to be good if you have some electronics knowledge.  There isn't as much support for it as there is for the Holley.  If you want to just plug the harness and ecu in and go, the Holley will be quicker.  The MS seems to need a few add ons to be really usefull, wideband, options for IAC, plug and play harnesses etc.  With the Holley, you buy the harnesses you need, plug it all up, terminate about 6 wires and off you go.

It's going to be real hard to do an engine, trans, fuel systems, efi, exhaust, accessories, cooling system, etc.  for $10K.  I was thinking you could do a SBE 6.0 with whatever heads and cam you want.  Then build your shortblock later.  It would still make big power, probably the same as a built 370.

Holley HP with harnesses (bare minimum) $1600

TH400 from Cameron $1500 guessing, I'm not sure what he charges

Converter $500

Flywheel and Driveshaft $500

Fuel System $1k

Headers and Exhaust $1k for a chevy 2 this might be more

That's $6100 and you haven't even started on a motor.  $3900 won't get you far on a built motor.

Cody likes this

Mega and Microsquirt seem to be good if you have some electronics knowledge. There isn't as much support for it as there is for the Holley. If you want to just plug the harness and ecu in and go, the Holley will be quicker. The MS seems to need a few add ons to be really usefull, wideband, options for IAC, plug and play harnesses etc. With the Holley, you buy the harnesses you need, plug it all up, terminate about 6 wires and off you go.

It's going to be real hard to do an engine, trans, fuel systems, efi, exhaust, accessories, cooling system, etc. for $10K. I was thinking you could do a SBE 6.0 with whatever heads and cam you want. Then build your shortblock later. It would still make big power, probably the same as a built 370.

Holley HP with harnesses (bare minimum) $1600

TH400 from Cameron $1500 guessing, I'm not sure what he charges

Converter $500

Flywheel and Driveshaft $500

Fuel System $1k

Headers and Exhaust $1k for a chevy 2 this might be more

That's $6100 and you haven't even started on a motor. $3900 won't get you far on a built motor.

You are right. I guess I need to start looking for a 6.0. I should at least change the bearings and and rings shouldn't I? And I'm not good with electronics, a guy that goes to Jackson is building a turbo ls truck and used Holley efi. He said it's so simple to use and Holley's customer service will help you a lot if you have questions.
higherpowerracing likes this

Depends on what you find for a motor.  If you pay a little more for a good one, you can run it as is. 

There was a mustang at a dyno day a couple weekends ago (I think James built it) that had 6.0 with a carb intake and 750? carb, cam (big) and I'm sure springs.  Stock heads.  If I remember right, it made just over  500 to the tires through a th400.  I would think a good set of heads could pick it up a bit.

Cody likes this

I was planning on running the hi ram intake since I already have a 4 inch cowl. And I was going to get a custom btr cam, springs, etc from them. Then do square port heads

I think it would run great like that.

I'm half convinced to do something similar in my mustang and I probably would if it wasn't so painful to sell the parts I have to pay for it.

Cody likes this

Did you state your goals and I miss that?  I did see 1.2 60'/5.9/9.80s...and that you want to change drivetrain.

Cody likes this

I want a more street friendly drivetrain. All I want it a fun street car I can run 6s in. Drive it to and from the track

Ah HA!  I see!   Your glide and 5500 stall converter are terrible everywhere except the starting line...so...

You just need some E-85 and a Jerico!    Spend your $5k on a clutch/flywheel,trans, re-jet the carb and you're done!  Spend $5k on fuel for the first few years of driving!   And instead of 5.90s/9.80s you'll be   5.50s/9.30s and add 5 mph too.

Man, that was easy.

NEXT!       lol

Cody likes this

I am still not clear on what you want out of the car. "Streetable" means different things to different people. I'm of the mindset to keep it as simple as possible. Looking at what you already have, I've lean towards a 5.3LS with good HCI, 4L60E or a Manual trans, and that would get that car into the 6's. I'd run the stock EFI if at all possible for the best starting and driving at the possible sacrifice of a few HP. My rough plan there would put the car into the 6.70 range for about $7K. But, you'd be able to drive it cross country and do the Hot Rod Power Tour if you wanted.

JohnC likes this