Rate this topic:

841 posts in this topic

Leaned cylinders caused cracks between cylinder and block?   But no piston damage?     I've not heard of that yet....

Leaned cylinders caused cracks between cylinder and block?   But no piston damage?     I've not heard of that yet....

Thats the only thing we can find. Pistons are great. Idk if it was being hot/lifting the head at the same time or what. Im baffled honestly

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I wonder what the bottom of the cylinder/block looks like.

Ill get you some pics. It looks good in there. Pistons looked way better than i thought they would. 4c39979415343eaf693c3e7b55deabaa.jpg

JohnC likes this

On 2/6/2017 at 5:28 PM, Cody said:

This is a long shot but does anyone have a good single plan ls intake? (Set up for a carb with cathedral ports) 38e56613fdc7d4e7a25b8000dad566c6.jpg

Engine is pretty much done and I'd like to make more power on the dyno

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

n/m....

I see the head studs...

You sure it was lifting the heads?

Defective / weak block from casting flaws maybe? 

n/m....

I see the head studs...

You sure it was lifting the heads?

Defective / weak block from casting flaws maybe? 

I see heads lift head studs all the time lol and when a 210 lb injector flows 120 that cylinder gets hot lol

JohnC likes this

Cody, I bet that lean condition did create a blowtorch in that hole.  I've heard of melted plug straps, holes in pistons, burnt exhaust valves, rings that swell and butt together so hard that it pops a portion of the top of the piston off, and pistons that swell and scuff/gal the cylinder wall.

But I've never heard of all that being OK while heat was able to crack the block.

I don't see heat being the cause of those cracks. 

*And I don't claim to know everything about racin', especially the LS engines.  I'm williin' to learn.

8 hours ago, Cody said:

I see heads lift head studs all the time lol and when a 210 lb injector flows 120 that cylinder gets hot lol

Makes sense. :up: 

Cody, I bet that lean condition did create a blowtorch in that hole.  I've heard of melted plug straps, holes in pistons, burnt exhaust valves, rings that swell and butt together so hard that it pops a portion of the top of the piston off, and pistons that swell and scuff/gal the cylinder wall.

But I've never heard of all that being OK while heat was able to crack the block.

I don't see heat being the cause of those cracks. 

*And I don't claim to know everything about racin', especially the LS engines.  I'm williin' to learn.

Im also just guessing on what happened. Thats the only thing I could come up with. Dynoed it with bad injectors, get them cleaned, go back and its shooting water out of the overflow. I mic'd the pistons and they are good. All the plugs in the head are fine and the head isnt warped. I checked it with an indicator on a granite surface plate. That's the only guess i could come up with lol hot and a lot pressure, then cold rain hitting it on the way home.

Dropped the block and rotating assembly off at tuckers machine shop yesterday. He said it would be 2 months before he could touch it. So i might not be racing this year either.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:30 AM, Cody said:

Dropped the block and rotating assembly off at tuckers machine shop yesterday. He said it would be 2 months before he could touch it. So i might not be racing this year either.

Why wait so long?

Is the shop that much better than others with a shorter wait?

How about Shacklett? 

Why wait so long?

Is the shop that much better than others with a shorter wait?

How about Shacklett? 

They are all that long. Build season ended up being longer and the government gave everyone checks lol

Tino, JohnC and 66sprint6 like this