Rate this topic:

829 posts in this topic

Custom comp cam Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Is it one of johns?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Is it one of johns?Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

No straight from comp. Not what I wanted but it was free so I cant complain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JohnC likes this

On 3/22/2020 at 5:41 PM, Ashley P said:

Dyno-schmyno.   Put me and a clutch pedal in that thing at the track and I'll tell you how much power it makes!  lol  (It would quickly peg my butt dyno.)

Peg might not be the appropriate term, there.  Clinch might be more accurate.

Ashley P and 66sprint6 like this

Peg might not be the appropriate term, there.  Clinch might be more accurate.

It's pretty scary on the street. Spins going 60.

12 hours ago, Cody said:

It's pretty scary on the street. Spins going 60.

Traction control saves my life.... :lol: 

So I've bled (that doesnt look right?) My brakes twice now since putting the discs on the rear. We pumped them up to were I cant put the pedal to the floor and bleed them. It's been done 4 times each on the back and twice on the front. The pedal after some time will be soft as I can be. I can pump it up and it will be stiff again. Little scary driving and pumping brakes up on these back roads....

What MC? Do you have a residual valve in line to the rear?

Believe it's an older Corvette and I have no clue. More than likely not.

Ok. It shouldn't with disks, but I know a lot of old drum systems did. It sounds like you may have some air still, or just a bad MC. Might try taking the MC off and bench bleeding it and try again.

mstrpth likes this

Ok. It shouldn't with disks, but I know a lot of old drum systems did. It sounds like you may have some air still, or just a bad MC. Might try taking the MC off and bench bleeding it and try again.

I just took off the old drums on the back and put some gm metric calipers on it.

Car finally made some good pulls. Think we found the limit on the btr .660 springs. They are a little old but on 2 car the past 2 weekends with similar set ups they 1025/20 lbs mark is there limit if they arent brand new. 235da82dd78c5a58b4bde6ffca4f87e4.jpg

Ashley P, 66sprint6, mstrpth and 1 other like this

Insane.  Love it and glad your finally seeing some wicked results!

Matt

Thank you. Its been a process. Now to get brakes done and im going racing.

Who knows about coolant systems well? Been keeping this quiet because i dont need facebook idiots with their opinions. We dynoed the car this past weekend. After every pass, water would shoot out of the overflow. Not during the pull at all but only on the decel. No water on the plugs or in the exhaust. I feel like the head gaskets are getting pushed and some "boost" is getting into the coolant system. But with no water found on the plugs or exhaust has me confused. The temp got to 208 on the dyno pull so its not overheating unless the sensor is reading wrong. Thinking about buying rifes new sensor for the coolant temp/pressure and see if that shows it.

These head gaskets are 3 years old and i have never retorque them. This radiator cap is also 3 years old and on its 2nd radiator. The cap has seen some heat when i was throwing belts all the time.

I have a davies craig pump and a sirocco style radiator. Anyone have any ideas?

If you are getting combustion pressure into the water jacket, that will result in air in the system. That air can be checked with something like the Blue-Point GDCT16 tester.  That check will quickly tell you if you have big problems or not.

How much water is being pushed into the overflow?  How much is drawn out of the overflow as the engine cools?  Is it only water, or air also?

As coolant heats up it expands, so a completely full when cold will push some to the overflow as it heats up.  If your system starts a pull at 160 and ends at 208, maybe 1 to 2 cups could be pushed to the overflow normally (I'm guessing at that amount).

If you are getting combustion pressure into the water jacket, that will result in air in the system. That air can be checked with something like the Blue-Point GDCT16 tester.  That check will quickly tell you if you have big problems or not.

How much water is being pushed into the overflow?  How much is drawn out of the overflow as the engine cools?  Is it only water, or air also?

As coolant heats up it expands, so a completely full when cold will push some to the overflow as it heats up.  If your system starts a pull at 160 and ends at 208, maybe 1 to 2 cups could be pushed to the overflow normally (I'm guessing at that amount).

Id say around a cup but its every pull. And ill have to look into that tool.

Im not sure how much is getting pulled back in because we drained it everytime.

Its also mostly water. I put a little antifreeze in there this winter but maybe a quart.

You found the issue, right? Cracked block at coolant passages around the top of the cylinders?

What caused that? 

Injectors being clogged and leaning a couple of cylinders out. So now i have to start from scratch. Was ready to see what this set up would do but oh well. Im about to rock the sbe life.

Tino likes this