Rate this topic:

327 posts in this topic

Yeah 317s. And I can't take all the credit, I had help from my pops he's been helping me tear it down. Teaching him how to do a cam install

Wish I was closer so I could help and learn

I'm getting all the info from you guys. First time doing an LS engine. I've done a couple of sbf

And #&%$ doing a 4.6 did my dad's grand marquis 2 weeks ago and it sucked

Edited by Tino
JohnC and Mike like this

I'm getting all the info from you guys. First time doing an LS engine. I've done a couple of sbf

I've never done a cam swap in anything. All new to me

Nothing to it but to do it man. It's only bolts and nuts. Take lots of pictures, read a couple of forums, asked questions, and tear into it

Cody likes this

Nothing to it but to do it man. It's only bolts and nuts. Take lots of pictures, read a couple of forums, asked questions, and tear into it

Next car I do, or next cam I will do myself. I have a book on how to do a ls engine and I have read it a couple of times. I think I could do it, just havent yet :(

Making nice progress. I was about to say it took me hours to get the heads off but that was my first time. Bet I spent an hour looking for the tool I just laid down. :lol:

Cody and Tino like this

Haha you fools crazy. I try to put up every tool I use every time I set it down

I put everything up when I'm done but have all the stuff around me when I'm using it

My luck tries removing the broken bolt with vise grips and ended up breaking the bolt flush with the head

That's the reason I hate working on trucks and cars.

I've had broken bolts in 302 H.O's too. Mainly the water pump bolts seem to rust and break off.

Anyway, awesome progress, brother! :up:

Enjoying this! Pushrod motors just seem like more fun to play with. All these OHC engines like the 4.6L Ford are a PITA.

Tino and Cody like this

I've had broken bolts in 302 H.O's too. Mainly the water pump bolts seem to rust and break off.

Anyway, awesome progress, brother! :up:

Enjoying this! Pushrod motors just seem like more fun to play with. All these OHC engines like the 4.6L Ford are a PITA.

I've swapped cams in a 3v 4.6 mustang I had. I think it's actually easier than a 302 pushrod.

higherpowerracing likes this

I've swapped cams in a 3v 4.6 mustang I had. I think it's actually easier than a 302 pushrod.

Did you remove the timing chain cover and degree in the cams? How difficult was it?

Did you remove the timing chain cover and degree in the cams? How difficult was it?

No I used the wedge tool.

JohnC likes this

Got the broken exhaust bolts out, removed all the valves and springs the heads and cleaned them. I need to find some valve seals once I get them I can put my heads back together.

Edited by Tino
Cody and JohnC like this

^Yeah I finally got it off. **** the **** harmonic balancer and the bolt they were a ***** to get off.

I brought my badass snap on impact from work just to take the bolt off and it would not do it. My buddy came over and brought his Milwaukee impacts, pulled out his small one, and took the bolt right off. Wait til I see my snap on man we going to talk.

20150711_150928.jpg

higherpowerracing, Cody and JohnC like this

A guy I go to school with, his father owns a shop and won't buy snap on anymore. He had the same problem. He switched to Matco and he says its way better