Rate this topic:

327 posts in this topic

Small build thread on my 1500HD. Nothing special just a cam swap, bolt ons, and some nice wheels.

If everything goes as plan it should be finished by this weekend.

Day 1 plans: remove intake manifold, coil

Packs and brackets.

Start it off like this.

20150703_100406.jpg

And 1 hour and 30 min later

20150708_183145.jpg

It looks like this.

Tomorrow plans: remove all the front accessories and maybe the exhaust manifolds.

Quick questions, does headers help these engines much? I've heard the stock ones do really well. And any good good cold air intakes, or just leave it stock?

I've put cold air intakes on my other cars and I never pick up ant times down the track. Don't know if these engines respond well to them.

Cody and JohnC like this

From what I understand headers help a lot on ls cars but Idk about trucks. I figured it would for them also. And not sure about cold air intakes.

I hate leaky headers, so I would stick with manifolds. You can probably pull the air filter at the track and get most of the gains of a cold air.

I'll keep it stock then. I saw it was missing the rear bolt on the driver side exhaust manifold hope it just fell off and not broken in the head

The real cork in flow is the mufflers and cats. :yes:

I wouldn't do headers unless you plan to dual it out like a Mustang, or do a Y pipe to 3.5 in single exhaust.

What are the plans with this truck? You don't have your mustang anymore?

I was in an accident around 2 months ago and totaled my mustang. So I bought me this truck. It has a small miss fire while idling so I took it to the Chevy dealership and they determined it had a bad cam and for them to replace it, it would cost 4500 dollars, so I went picked my truck up and bought me a new cam from BTR, LS7 lifters, springs, and timing chain all of that cost me around 850. Way cheaper than 4500 and it will run way better.

The real cork in flow is the mufflers and cats. :yes:

I wouldn't do headers unless you plan to dual it out like a Mustang, or do a Y pipe to 3.5 in single exhaust.

Right now it has a magnaflow muffler on it, and I think it has a catback system on it but not sure. I'll take some pictures of it when I get home and you guys tell me what y'all think. It sounds really good, it's not loud and it has a nice tone to it. I really like it, but whoever welded the muffler on there sucks and it needs to be replaced. Edited by Tino
JohnC likes this

The amazing welds

20150709_071515.jpg

And this is the outlet side.

20150709_071537.jpg

I looked at the exhaust system and it's stock with just a muffler welded on there. Here in a month or so I'll buy a nice catback exhaust

Edited by Tino
JohnC likes this

I have a couple of exhaust bolts broken in the head :( . When I wake up today I'll see if I can pull the heads off to take them to work and have my coworker weld some nuts to the broken bolts to get them off.

I have a couple of exhaust bolts broken in the head :( . When I wake up today I'll see if I can pull the heads off to take them to work and have my coworker weld some nuts to the broken bolts to get them off.

If you get the head(s) off you should be able to get them out with vise grips or similar. I was going to say last night that I'd put a 100 on the bolt being broken. I had one when I pulled the heads and it happens on all of them.

Anything to help the cam breath is going to pick up power. If it were stock you probably wouldn't see much gain from cold air and headers but I think it'd be significant with the new cam.  :2cents:  I'm not saying go spend a grand on American Racing headers and 200 on a cold air kit but finding a used set of headers and fabbing up a cheap silicone intake wouldn't be too hard.

Tino and JohnC like this

I'm not familiar with truck stuff but look into pacesetter and obx. I have a set of obx for the V which are basically kooks design and they look nice with decent welds. The V obx headers are around 5-600 with no cats.

I've got the eBay longtubes/y-pipe on mine. Takes some massaging to get them to fit. Longtubes and a tune will wake it up. Swiss cheese the stock air box and call it good.

Longtubes over short tube?

Longtubes. I had a pair of shorttubes first, waste of money. But I still have them if you want to try them.

Thanks for link I'll definitely be lurking on that forum.

Longtubes. I had a pair of shorttubes first, waste of money. But I still have them if you want to try them.

Thanks, but I'll just go ahead and get some longtubes down the road. Need to save up some money.

Also will stock injectors be fine or should I upgrade to bigger ones?

And what kind of exhaust bolts are you using cause I've always had problems with headers leaking. Bolts always backed on with headers on my cars

Your injectors should be fine. I have a lot bigger cam and better heads and my injectors work.

Sorry to hear about your exhaust bolts tino. I know that can be a pain.

Went outside and worked on it for another hour and 30 mins and was able to get the heads off.

First pulled valve covers off and rockers.

20150709_174252_1.jpg

Then 30 bolts later the heads came off

20150709_184748.jpg

20150709_184758.jpg

Can't wait to hear it run!

Cody and JohnC like this

Your injectors should be fine. I have a lot bigger cam and better heads and my injectors work.

Sorry to hear about your exhaust bolts tino. I know that can be a pain.

It's all good man I think I can get them off with vise grips like Slim said if not we'll just weld a nut on them and take them off.

I'm taking them to work tonight to remove the bolts and clean the heads. Make it look all clean

Cody likes this