Ashley P

Any gardeners?

109 posts in this topic

Near the end of growing season, how'd the gardens fare?

The family that wanted to share in my garden did not help hardly at all,  so my extra large planting did more harm than good.  I gave up weeding months ago and only froze 50 pints of corn, 0 tomato, a few quarts of beans.  I did toss some rotten tomatoes in the air and shoot (at) 'em...cheaper than clays...

mine was doing GREAT and then a 5 min storm rolled through and it looked like a kid had sit on top and just rolled over all of it. pretty much killed everything except the peppers. they're actually still producing. this was about 9 or 10 weeks ago

JohnC likes this

I guess it's that time again.  I'm doing my first garden this year.  Three raised beds totaling 72 square feet.  My friend gave me the lumber from his garden from last year.  I bought a truck load of good soil today.  I'll probably need one more.  Construction starts tomorrow.  I want to grow tomatoes, squash, zucchini, onions, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, lettuce, cabbage and maybe some jalapenos.  Deer are bad in my area, so I have to fence it.  I have rabbits too so, some marigolds thrown in for that.  It might be too much for a first garden.

JohnC likes this

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I guess it's that time again.  I'm doing my first garden this year. 

In a couple months you're really gonna hate Adam and Eve....and your "friend" who gave you garden lumber.

Gardening is work....work like trying to keep a black car clean on a 1000 mile trip down a gravel road.  In the sprinkling rain.

Enjoy the veggies!  lol

Justin, who came with us to shoot, is the friend.  He did it last year for the first time and decided to go bigger this year.

This time last year, I was building two cars.  Spending another 1.5 hours a day away from home due to my old job.  This year, I'm home at 3:30, the car is done and I have a little one that is getting just barely helpful.  My health is better now.  I'm hoping this size is manageable with moderate effort.

66sprint6, mstrpth and JohnC like this

Well, apparently I don't follow through to completion with ANY of my projects, and you do, so  I foresee a spotless garden at your place. lol I usually fail in the weeding dept due to too much area to cover and not enough time to do it.  Don't get behind in that dept.  Watch out for squash bugs and horn (tobacco) worms, each can do a lot of damage (especially the worms).  I love ground covers between plants to smother weeds, a layer of newspaper works wonders.  Of course, with limited size and raised beds you've got a good (small) start that's manageable without that.

Say hey to Justin, too. 

66sprint6 likes this

Mike, your little one might like a pumpkin for Halloween.  Plant the first week of June so it's ready about then.  That could interest her in the garden.  Or, if it dies, scar her for life... :smirk:

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

Mike, your little one might like a pumpkin for Halloween.  Plant the first week of June so it's ready about then.  That could interest her in the garden.  Or, if it dies, scar her for life... :smirk:

I'm limited on space, but that's definitely something I'll consider.  Her and Mom will be spending a lot of time out there each day.

My yard at 8:00 this morning.  I was trying to figure out where gets the best morning sun.

IMG_0234.JPG

I laid out the planters and filled them with dirt.

IMG_0235.JPG

Since I have to fence it, I figured another box would square it up.  Luckily my friend still had more lumber.  He also gave me landscaping cloth for the walkways.  I bought a truckload of mulch to cover it up.  The yard at 12:00

IMG_0236.JPG

Said friend (Justin) convinced me to fence it.  Our deer population here is pretty fierce.  They nest in my yard at night during the winter.  $160 later and I have a fence.

IMG_0237.JPG

I'll let the concrete set overnight and string up the rest of the fence.  I still have to build a gate.  I'm going to grow compost in the third planter in hopes of using it next year.  Work ended at 3:00 and I'm wore flat out.  This was a hard days work for a lazy desk jockey.  Tomorrow afternoon, the plants and seeds go in the ground.

IMG_0238.JPG

Ashley P, JohnC and mstrpth like this

A pumpkin can eat up space or be "trained"; maybe get it's vine(s) to grow along the fence?  And they are more tolerant of shade, FWIW.  They like water.  Rain water > city faucet stuff.  Got your gutters diverted yet?   lol   Endless possibilities.  If you go pumpkin with daughter in mind...are you familiar with Pooh's Puzzling Plant?

And, it looks like you're off to a well engineered start. ;) 

Edited by Ashley P
Mike likes this

we put down newspaper last year and watered it before covering with soil. we had little to no weeds all summer.

9 hours ago, higherpowerracing said:

Dude your gonna want a taller fence. .

Sent from Slim's Speed Shop

I know they can still jump a 4' fence.  If they get in, I'll get one of the motion sensor activated sprinklers.  Hopefully this is enough of a deterrent to keep them out.  Lots of Gardens back in our area with no fence, so maybe making mine harder will keep them in someone else's garden.

Plants are in.  I had a plan, but it changed as things went in the ground.  I hope I didn't crowd things.  Pretty much every row is 1' apart and the vegies are spaced per the package in the rows.

Tomatoes, Onions, Green Onions, Yellow and Green Bell peppers, Jalapenos, Potatoes, Carrots, Napa Cabbage, Cilantro, Zucchini and Squash.  I'll build the gate tomorrow.

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

higherpowerracing likes this