Ashley P

Any gardeners?

103 posts in this topic

nope nope nope nope nope I hate yard work I hate it.....

Ever try small gardening? My mother-in-law lives in CA and she does these small box gardens so it's easier to manage.

Try starting small. You might end up liking it. :up:

A lot of my family members that ate out of their own garden, lived to their late 90's. Had one aunt pass just before her 100th birthday. She told everyone she wanted a $100 bill for her birthday when she turned 100 (she was really looking forward to that), so someone made her a b-day cake with a $100 bill on it and a picture of her face in the place of the prez. :lol:

I have a small one.

25 or so tomato

25 or so corn

10 cucumber  

10 jalapeno

10 bell pepper 

6 squash

started them all from seeds left over from last year just to see if we could do it. most of it is coming along well and starting to even have some tomatoes sprout out.  

had a problem at first with birds and the jalapenos.

JohnC likes this

Pics or it didn't happen! :shiftyeyes:

this is what I could pull from my wifes IG account.

post-83-0-40102600-1433942795_thumb.jpeg

post-83-0-84046300-1433942808_thumb.jpeg

picture was from a week or 2 ago and only shows about 60% of the garden areas.

JohnC likes this

We normally try to have a garden, took a break last year, this year we're putting out a bigger one than normal because we have friends that have no place for one and THEORETICALLY we can tag team.  (We'll see how all that turns out! lol)   Best deal was tomatoes where I bought 18 plants/ended up with 40.   Fixing to have to cage/stake them.  I don't want to tie them to stakes all summer, so looks like concrete "remesh" would be good.   Got some heirloom corn for trial, about 400' of sweat corn on the first planting, many feet of beans that won't come up...

Hope to can tomato products and beans, freeze some corn.  A few years ago I had the idea to focus on either beans or tomatoes each year (alternating) and can as many has possible.   We set a goal of 100 qts of beans, gave up at 65ish!  lol!

we had about 30 bean plants with the same intentions and we put half of them out to early and animals got the rest of them. so ended up with no beans.

we had about 30 bean plants with the same intentions and we put half of them out to early and animals got the rest of them. so ended up with no beans.

Do you cage/stake your 'maters, or let 'em run wild?

When we did the 65 quarts of beans I'd planted several 50' rows.  I put the rows on 20"-ish centers.  Why?  Because at work we sell a bunch of havoline oil, and the case breaks down to 19" wide.  I put that cardboard between about 1/2 of those rows to keep the weeds down.   Worked GREAT compared to trying to weed/till the rows.

I'm what? That's awesome!

Hahahahaha  We only have about 300 acres, but the guys that allow us to use their equipment, and we help out farm about 1600-1700.

JohnC likes this

the 150lb rotty to the left of that garden says otherwise :)

I had one. I know how to turn off the dog alarm. Learned how to do it watching a crook about to break in my folks house years ago. :yes:

Theif didn't know I was home and brought snacks for the dog. Watched him go from barking to tail wagging as the crook stood on the back porch pitching him food.

Both me and my sister had pistols ready and got on the phone with 911. Cops were worthless. Got there like an hour later after I scared him off via 911 operators instructions to talk through a closed door and tell him I was on the phone with the po-po. :rolleyes:

I had one. I know how to turn off the god alarm. Learned how to do it watching a crook about to break in my folks house years ago. :yes:

Theif didn't know I was home and brought snacks for the dog. Watched him go from barking to tail wagging as the crook stood on the back porch pitching him food.

Both me and my sister had pistols ready and got on the phone with 911. Cops were worthless. Got there like an hour later after I scared him off via 911 operators instructions to talk through a closed door and tell him I was on the phone with the po-po. :rollseyes:

food won't work with him. I trained him to not eat snacks until I tell him to. I can throw a hotdog down in front of him and he'll just look at me. your best bet would be to bring dog food :lol:.

JohnC likes this

snapped some phone pics yesterday.

very small garden but likely to grow a lot more next year. just wanted to see if we could do it from the seeds first.

post-83-0-82593300-1434023177_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-93051700-1434023184_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-36708400-1434023238_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-03236400-1434023248_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-37438900-1434023255_thumb.jpg

Do you cage/stake your 'maters, or let 'em run wild?

When we did the 65 quarts of beans I'd planted several 50' rows.  I put the rows on 20"-ish centers.  Why?  Because at work we sell a bunch of havoline oil, and the case breaks down to 19" wide.  I put that cardboard between about 1/2 of those rows to keep the weeds down.   Worked GREAT compared to trying to weed/till the rows.

we need to cage them now, just haven't gotten around to it.

Wow, second page and nobody mentioned growing pot.  We are all grown up here. :)

while growing the seeds I always called it our pot farm. funny part is, my wife watches a DEA officers kids

JohnC and higherpowerracing like this

food won't work with him. I trained him to not eat snacks until I tell him to. I can throw a hotdog down in front of him and he'll just look at me. your best bet would be to bring dog food :lol:.

I bet he wouldn't turn down a juicy burger or hunk of steak. I could probably name him Buster on the spot and he'd obey my commands. :lol: