Ashley P

Any (animal) hunters here?

30 posts in this topic

My son thinks he wants to hunt, and youth turkey season is this weekend.  Since we've seen turkeys on our property in the past month (for the first time ever) we might try it Saturday.  $50 at wally world got us a camo cloth, shells, and a cheap set of calls with a how-to vid.  Turkey for Easter dinner?

66sprint6 and Cody like this

I don't hunt but did buy both of my kids a lifetime hunting/fishing license. it's cheap when they're young

Good luck!!!  Turkeys are smart and can see better than you and I!  Hope you guys have fun either which way and maybe grab a butterball just in case LOL

Matt

Good luck!!!  Turkeys are smart and can see better than you and I!  Hope you guys have fun either which way and maybe grab a butterball just in case LOL

Matt

While I agree with all prior comments, this one ^ is the most like my thoughts.  The frozen turkey is thawing as we speak!  lol!   The "odds" of getting a turkey are slim, the odds of me dressing it out in edible fashion are smaller!  If there be two turkeys in the smoker we'll be tickled, but it's unlikely.

66sprint6 and mstrpth like this

Yep, the WORST thing that can happen now is you sit around all day with your kids...must be a rooouuuuugh!  I look forward to taking my buddy's stepson squirrel hunting one day.  He's my fishing buddy and we fixed up an old .22 for him and he's itching to get out and go plinking.

Matt

I actually love the little nutty bastards but I dont mind hunting them at all (especially where they are becoming a nuisance) .  If you have enough property to shoot a .22 around without ticking the neighbors off then you could have a blast getting rid of a few of em! 

Matt

Do you live in Kentucky? Because Tennessee's youth hunt was this past weekend. If you want to go I would get a trail cam and see where they come from. Find out where the roost and set up on the ground a little ways away. Also get some decoys, they have good eye sight but are dumb.

If you are awesome, carry a fan with you and get a gobbler to come up. Then craw with the fan in front of you and your gun barely sticking out of the fan. Once they get close enough, shoot that sucked in the head. Then dress it and country fry it :) delicious :)

Be careful doing that though lol they may charge and try and fight you.

Also get a good turkey choke and a good turkey load. We do a lot of turkey hunting. We have friends from Ohio come down and hunt with us.

I'm in KY.   Thanks for the pointers.

Cody, I'm good with the gun/ammo.  Working on a blind, should have a hen and gobbler decoys.  We've been practicing with the calls (box and "slate" (glass)) and we are probably good enough to be considered terrible.  I don't know the roosting location, my farm is divided into thirds because of wooded creek bottoms.  I've seen them in the 2nd and 3rd fields, and found tracks in the 1st.   The thickest woods is....hey, I'm gonna send you a PM.

Cody likes this

Good luck and enjoy the time with your son in the woods.  I've been taking mine hunting since he was 4.  He is almost 14 now.  I hope the day never comes that he doesn't want to go hunting with dad. 

I've turkey hunted a few times, but I can't be still enough.  It sure is fun when you hit that call and a gobbler answers you back.  I also hate snakes.  They tend to be getting out down here this time of year.  LOL.

Good luck and enjoy the time with your son in the woods. I've been taking mine hunting since he was 4. He is almost 14 now. I hope the day never comes that he doesn't want to go hunting with dad.

I've turkey hunted a few times, but I can't be still enough. It sure is fun when you hit that call and a gobbler answers you back. I also hate snakes. They tend to be getting out down here this time of year. LOL.

This is what hunting is about! I always loved spending time with my father and still do. I hope my boys do the same.

I got my son his lifetime sportsman license before he turned 2 and will be buying my new son his soon. They are both 6 and will be hunting with me soon.

Edited by higherpowerracing
66sprint6 likes this

I can't be still enough....  I also hate snakes.

Bud, if I'm so still that a snake joins us in the blind...well, I'll end the troublesome stillness REALLY quick!

Ditto on the family time!

66sprint6 likes this

If I may make a suggestion.  First time success is important for young hunters.  squirrel hunting is great.  But Upland hunting good because there is something happening all of the time (dog working....)  I will offer my dog and guide services at no charge if you want to take him to a preserve in Northeast Alabama I use.  The preserve owner will want some money for the birds but at least he won't hit you up for the guide fee

The downside is our season is over  until October.  But the offer still stands.

Well, first I thank you very much for the offer!   I see what you mean about action, and I may see what he thinks about hunting birds on our property to gauge his interest.  He's only beginning to hunt, and right now his guns skills are at "BB proficient" levels!    It'll be some years (LORD willing) before he's ready for a bird quicker and smaller than a turkey!  lol!

Well, first I thank you very much for the offer!   I see what you mean about action, and I may see what he thinks about hunting birds on our property to gauge his interest.  He's only beginning to hunt, and right now his guns skills are at "BB proficient" levels!    It'll be some years (LORD willing) before he's ready for a bird quicker and smaller than a turkey!  lol!

In the mean time here's some collar cam video

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4k2puG_nlc

Well, we didn't see or hear a turkey.  We enjoyed watching squirrels, song birds, and deer.   I let my son determine when we gave up, which was about 1.5 hrs of sitting.

Let me also explain an error that I made in this "first hunting" episode.  He'd never fired a shot gun, but understands gun handling from a few years with a BB gun and my instruction.  So, I handed him a 20 gauge and had him practice slowly raising the gun (while sitting) and aiming at a target.  After several practices I loaded it and had him shoot the target.  BAM!.....and the gun lands a few feet to his right and he landed on his back!   I'd put a turkey load in it.  OOPS.   Went and got some light target loads and he had fun blowing holes in cardboard.

Cody likes this

LOL  Reminds me of the first time I ever shot a shotgun...well hell a gun period outside a BB gun.  My Mom's uncle was a fantastic shot and took us out to his club, loaded up a 12gauge and let me have at it.  I didnt drop the gun but I remember BARELY being able to lift it much less hold onto it.  Sucker hurt like hell and my right arm went numb down the back of it.  I shot 2 or 3 more before i gave it.  Noticed him laughin with some of his buddies and looking back Im thinkin he did something similar but on purpose lol.  He was a cool guy and I miss him.  Now when I let younger or first timers shoot I always give em my 20gauge with a buttpad on so they dont HATE it first shot out.

Matt

Ive been a hunting junky since before i can remember. Best thing you can do for a child under 3 is buy them a life time licence. I got bored with turkey hunting an gun hunting in general and moved to bow hunting, much more exciting to be forced to wait until your game is close to take a shot.

1126090912.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

higherpowerracing likes this