ls1adam84

I am an idiot

7 posts in this topic

Anyone know someone who can pass a car for emissions testing? PM me please, just bought a car and I am ordering parts but I need to get emissions done before registering it.

Or does anyone have a scan tool near Franklin that does not mind letting me rent or borrow, mine left with my truck. I need to diagnose a P0420 code in a gm 3.8 SC car and it's either bad cat or bad O2.

negative ghjost rider not a bad cat or o2 sensor, try shitty fuel aka Ethanol content, the GM Computers dont compensate for the burn characteristics of ethanol blends therefor it throws the p0420 there is a work around thats easy and straight forward to deal with this. pull the rear o2 sensor(S) get two or (four) spark plug nonfoulers the same thread as the o2 drill the one or (two) of them out with a half inch bit for the sensor pellet to clear so for each one it will be sensor screwed into drilled nonfouler then that screwed into the second nonfouler, that whole unit then would be screwed back in the bung(s) on the pipe.

Interesting that's the first time I have ever heard of that I had aregal gs before no issue, and various other buddies within the wbody community. I was however planning to do the fouler assuming there is enough room, the wbody downpipes have a crappy ubend where the O2 sensor is and there is almost never enough room to put the foulers. 

I am not trying to be a know it all, but I literally have never heard that before on the 3800 supercharged applications.

I will say this one might have a modular pulleysetup on it (I need to measure/figure out what size pulley) and MSD junk ignition coils.

I had one do it in a GTP, I'd replaced cats and sensors still threw the code, then my friend tells me of the Ethanol issue

JohnC likes this