Ashley P

GM LS engine head removal / cracks

8 posts in this topic

FWIW:

A Jasper Engines rep talked to me about LS engine cylinder head cracks.  He spouted some statistics about cracks under the head bolts and suggested that removal procedure can have something to do with causing cracks.  Jasper is thinking that just zipping the bolts out with an impact increases the potential for crack.  They recommend removal in a "reverse of assembly" method.

Cody and JohnC like this

Regarding casting #s, I only remember that he was discussing ALL heads received and not just a specific #.   While castec heads are the worst, I took it that ALL heads are thin casting around those center head bolt bosses, and thus ALL heads would benefit from the more "even" removal process.

I would also imagine some persons impacting them on to speed up the process to get to the TTY part of it. I have heard of folks doing that like dum dums.

I would also imagine some persons impacting them on to speed up the process to get to the TTY part of it. I have heard of folks doing that like dum dums.

I didn't really even consider removing my heads with an impact, much less re-install. I'm almost positive there was loosening pattern for the 04 and earlier style that uses the different sized botls like my LS6. I think the 853 castings are more prone cracking than 241/243/799/ etc castings.

Edited by slim_9916
ls1adam84 likes this

I'm pretty sure every cylinder head has a removal procedure. I've remove a BUNCH of LS cylinder heads with an impact and sent them out for inspection and have never seen one crack that wasn't already cracked.