Rate this topic:

759 posts in this topic

"car guys" that are as ignorant as you say would scare me away!   Of course, there's the "too dumb to know what they've got" hope...

Definitely makes me not trust their adds.  The heads are pretty hidden from view mostly.  The blower has a label that is clear as day right on top telling you what it is.  How can they tell me what brand head is on the motor when they can't even tell me what blower it has?

The first add a few posts up says 3.55 gears.  The second guy I talked to about the car said it has 4.10's.  It said it had a 3650 trans, which isn't possible without an adapter plate.  The guy said he just bought a new tremec trans and put it in.  The 3550 hasn't been made in 10 years.  It's not a 3650 and probably not a 3550, so what the heck is it.

I'm taking the value of the parts I can use off of each car, adding it up.  Taking 40% of that value and that's what I'll offer.  That's close to the asking price of both if they are what they say they are.  Luckily I have lots of options to buy and cash, so I can be choosey and beat them down on price.

JohnC and Ashley P like this

You asked how people can be so ignorant.  Remember, you've stepped out of the Buick world.  You are dealing with Mustang folks...better wear some ragged clothes, chain your wallet, and keep the brass knuckles handy. :word:    

cookmaster30 and ls1adam84 like this

You asked how people can be so ignorant.  Remember, you've stepped out of the Buick world.  You are dealing with Mustang folks...better wear some ragged clothes, chain your wallet, and keep the brass knuckles handy. :word:    

Dang!!! I'll take that with a grain of salt since it is coming from somwone in KY where the men are men and the sheep are scared... (also sisters, cousins and really anyone closely related) :word:  :duck: ;)

mstrpth, ls1adam84, Kpate and 2 others like this

Dang!!! I'll take that with a grain of salt since it is coming from somwone in KY where the men are men and the sheep are scared... (also sisters, cousins and really anyone closely related) :word:  :duck:  ;)

Hey, you're hitting close to home....'cause I USED to have a Mustang..... :P

66sprint6 likes this

These guys were ok with me.  Just country people, but they had a different perspective than me for sure.

So, I looked at the white LX.  Let's have a little truth in advertising.

Their Add.

I have a very well put together foxbody mustang, it has new rear control arms, 
a Yukon posi chunk with 3:55 gears, 
31 spline Yukon axles and they are 5 lug. Like new cobra wheels with brand new nitto 555 tires. 275s in the rear and 255 in the front. 
Brand new tremec 3650 5 speed tranny with stage 2 clutch built by Tennessee clutch. 
The motor is a .30 over 302, 
trickflow specialties 180 heads, fully worked, 7 angle valve job, valve bowls ported, bigger titanium valves, and so on. 

Harland sharp 1.7 roller rockers(fully adjustable), 
true cobra match ported upper and lower intake, 
70mm throttle body, 
24 pound injectors, 
trick flow stage 2 cam, 
trick flow lifters and pushrods, 
bbk long tubes, custom h-pipe into magnaflow mufflers, 
new alternator, 
power steering pump, 
water pump, 
electric fan, 
new radiator, 
new tie rods and rack and pinion assembly, 
All it needs is paint 

Reality.  :panic:

I have a foxbody mustang, it has new rear lower control arms laying in the back seat., 
a Yukon posi chunk with 4.10 gears, 
31 spline Yukon axles and they are 5 lug. 3 polished cobra wheels and one painted one with brand new half bald and severely dry rotted nitto 555 tires. 275s in the rear and 255 in the front. 
Brand new tremec 3550 5 speed tranny with stage 2 clutch built by Tennessee clutch. The clutch grabs right on the floor and really stinks after running it up through the gears, so it's probably shot.  The trans is covered in grit and grime, you guess if it's new or not.
The motor is a .30 over 302, 
trickflow specialties 180 heads, fully worked, 7 angle valve job, valve bowls ported, bigger ???titanium??? valves, and so on.  Done by Brian Tooley when he was in BG (10 years ago) so they are probably worn out by now.

Harland sharp 1.7 roller rockers(fully adjustable), 
true cobra match ported upper and lower intake, 
70mm throttle body, 
24 pound injectors, 
trick flow stage 2 cam, that idles about like a stocker.
trick flow lifters and pushrods, 
rusty bbk long tubes, custom muffler shop rigged up h-pipe into magnaflow mufflers, 
new alternator, 
power steering pump
water pump
electric fan, that is rusted and vibrates
old 2 core radiator, 

new tie rods and rack and pinion assembly,  Needs alignment, it might kill you until then

freshly cracked windshield

All it needs is paint, a master cylinder, tires, alignment, a tune so it doesn't die every time you clutch it.  It was recently featured by police as being involved in a hit and run, that's where the dent in the drivers door came form.  The wife backed into the passenger door, but other than that and the rust and the sagging bumper it's really straight.

First impression as they pulled in the parking lot.  It was covered in dirt and green mold.  Mud on the tires and randomly white, mixed with chipped body filler and primer.  After looking it over I kinda wanted to just go home. I asked what compression the motor was and he said he would check it.  I asked if he could estimate if it was 9:1 or 11:1.  He said, "oh you mean the pistons, they are 10:1"   :panic:

Then I drove it and thought I was going to die.  The master cylinder was shot, he said pump it.  I did and almost had to put it in the ditch to avoid a rearending a car.  It fell to the floor in about 3 seconds.  It wouldn't even hold the car on a hill.  The motor ran decent other than it wouldn't idle.  When you let off the gas to shift, it would change lanes from the alignment. I made an offer that was quickly rejected.  I said the roller would be worthless after I got the drivetrain out, he said it was worth a good $1500. :panic:

It had some potential, but not for what they wanted.  I didn't want to insult him with an offer, but it was just a sorry car.  I made an offer that he quickly refused.  He will probably have it for a while.  It could bring some money, but he'll have to clean it up and get it to idle and stop.

Ashley P likes this

Sounds scary and shouldn't be on the road

No it shouldn't be. As I was driving it, I couldn't believe the guy drove it from east Nashville to rivergate in traffic.

No it shouldn't be. As I was driving it, I couldn't believe the guy drove it from east Nashville to rivergate in traffic.

That is not good. Did you tell him he shouldn't be driving it?

Dang!!! I'll take that with a grain of salt since it is coming from somwone in KY where the men are men and the sheep are scared... (also sisters, cousins and really anyone closely related) :word:  :duck:  ;)

:eeek:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I would def add this one to my list

As soon as he calls me back, I'll add it to my garage.  I didn't sleep last night because I was thinking about what all I could do with the car.  It's a sickness, I know.

A white coupe with white pony wheels is real high up on my list.  The red interior not so much, but I can live with it.  It's only one picture, but at least the interior doesn't look beat.

higherpowerracing and mstrpth like this

I'm the same way too.

As soon as he calls me back, I'll add it to my garage.  I didn't sleep last night because I was thinking about what all I could do with the car.  It's a sickness, I know.