Rate this topic:

759 posts in this topic

In an attempt to relive my youth I'm thinking about the ultimate high school car for anybody my age.  I had a shitty 79 Toyota Corrola in high school and then an S-15 Jimmy that I wrecked.  I always coveted other peoples coupes, but mom wouldn't let me buy a mustang on payments. 

So, I haven't bought a car yet, but I'm close.  I have crazy ideas for new projects all the time, but this one has been on my mind for a while now and I'm moving with it.  I have some parts that I've had left over for years and Joey (higherpowerracing) tempted me with a few more.  So, I have a pile started.

I've been looking half heartedly for a while for a nice fox coupe.  That's not been as easy as I thought.  Most everything is overpriced or has shitty paint.  I want a simple project this time, but really I just need solid paint.  I can fix anything else as needed.  I remembered my friend (engine builder for my GN) has a coupe he was going to put a v6 in.  He bought another car to do that with, so the coupe has been sitting.  I asked him about the coupe the other day and he says he will sell it.  I'm going to go look at it, but most likely this is my new project. 

Does anyone know what this color is called?  It's a 93 and as far as he knows it's an original color.  It's not calypso or reef blue.  It looks like bimini, but I don't think that's a 93 color.  It could be a 91 or 2 I guess.

post-76-0-46923700-1426866394_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-26414100-1426866469_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-64556700-1426866483_thumb.jpg

It has grey interior, subframes, a bolt in 4 point cage and a 5 lug conversion.  No engine or trans, but the wiring and a9l computer are still there.

JohnC and Cody like this

Having not seen the car in person, maybe this is a bit premature.  Let's see how many times I change my mind.  The plan for now is:

Pull the 4 point bar out.

Find a stock shortblock

Trick flow or AFR heads

Exploder intake, 30lb injectors, C&L maf (thanks to higherpower racing I have these parts)  I'll be doing a little welding and more porting on the lower

I have an accufab 75mm mustang tb leftover from the GN.  I think I bought it from reefbluecoupe years ago.

Probably an f cam.

Run it NA for now, but I'll be on the lookout for a Vortech S or T-trim kit.

I'll probably just put a TKO in it from the start.

Shorties, off-road h-pipe and flowmaster catback.

I might even try to entice Disney with beer to help with one of those plug and play megasquirt kits

I'm not sure which 5 lug conversion it has, but I want a 94/95 cobra disc/spindle swap.  So I may update it down the road if it's not already there

Don't know on wheels yet, but something very dated and 90's looking.  Maybe chrome 17" ponys to match the poser 4" cowl hood.

Cody likes this

Dang...where did you find that?!?!?!  Ive been on the search for a light blue coupe to replace mine...wouldnt wanna flip it quick to a buddy jonesing for another BlueCoupe would ya????

Matt

It's a secret where it's at.  Only one other member here might recognize that shop.  It's not exactly cheap (as far as rollers go), but it's nice and in my price range.

Oh now that's a nice Fox coupe, Mike! :love::hyper:

Why pull the cage? Is it in the way of getting in/out (no removable door bars)? I'd leave it if not in the way and no risk of busting your skull on a bar in a crash without helmet.

Sounds like you have a nice setup in mind. NOTIHING wounds better than a camm'd EFI 5.0 with headers, o/r H pipe and a set of 2 Chamber Flowmasters. :love:

I bumped in to a guy at Percy Priest lake one day that had a white coupe that I think I recall him saying was built by Delk (had to be late 90's because my car was still new) and it had a ProCharger on it. Man, that damn car sounded so good, idling, hitting a lick, ProCharger whistling, so if I did it, I'd get a nice noisy ProCharger for my own car.

That looks amazing. Good luck mike. I hope you get it And build what you want. I look forward to the build.

I need a fox now to match everyone else lol

Woohoo! When do you want me to hook up the trailer?

I have a few things I need to do before I go get it.  I have to sell the mill to pay for it, but I have to finish a couple projects on the mill before I put it on craigslist (one being your intake).

Oh now that's a nice Fox coupe, Mike! :love::hyper:

Why pull the cage? Is it in the way of getting in/out (no removable door bars)? I'd leave it if not in the way and no risk of busting your skull on a bar in a crash without helmet.

Sounds like you have a nice setup in mind. NOTIHING wounds better than a camm'd EFI 5.0 with headers, o/r H pipe and a set of 2 Chamber Flowmasters. :love:

I bumped in to a guy at Percy Priest lake one day that had a white coupe that I think I recall him saying was built by Delk (had to be late 90's because my car was still new) and it had a ProCharger on it. Man, that **** car sounded so good, idling, hitting a lick, ProCharger whistling, so if I did it, I'd get a nice noisy ProCharger for my own car.

It's a cheap bolt in 4 point roll bar according to him.  I don't want another car with a cage.  They are noisy and not family friendly.  I have no intentions to build another 1000hp monster (remember I said that), the buick covers that.  This one will be a fun daily driver that the family might want to ride in.  No kids seats in the back of the buick with the cage in there.

I had a friend in high school with a white coupe with a t-trim on it.  We could hear that blower from 3 miles away, I want the mustang sound and that loud straight cut trans blower sound on top of it.  I might remember that procharger coupe, it was a monster.  A4 block 347 D1 procharger, C4 etc.  It was at delk for a long time while I worked there because it didn't run well and needed a lot of tuning.  But yes, it was nasty.

JohnC and Cody like this

I need a fox now to match everyone else lol

I predict in 20 years the fox body mustang will be what the 69 Camaro is now.  You can buy a complete 69 Camaro aftermarket and the cheapest decent car is $30K and up.  The fox mustang will be the same way.  People my age (in high school in the late 80's early 90's) will be looking high and low for them and paying good money.

I want to fix a 4 cylinder notch 5 speed cheap And daily it. But you are right about it becoming a classic. I've seen prices go up here in the past year

While a Fox might become a desirable car, comparing the Fox to the 1st gen Camaro seems...highly retarded!  lol!   How many 1st gen Camaros were made over the 3 year production?   How many Fox bodies?  Didn't the Fox share longest running design title with the Dodge truck???

Cody likes this

Retarded would be using retirement money to buy them up betting they will go up in value.  I'm not doing that.  They made 93,000 in 1969.  Yes they made more mustangs.  A base Camaro was like $3000 new in 69.  That same car, full of bondo and rust with no engine will fetch $30K now.  A nice one will get twice that.

They made a lot of mustangs, but a lot of them are 4 cylinders, GT's, LX hatches, wrecked or gutted race cars.  Original 5.0 coupes will bring good money.  I don't know the future, but I would put a little money on it.  Same goes for that new $120K 64 mustang.

Now that I think about it, it did have a D1SC.

I think the guy was about 5'10" stocky and might of been the same dude that worked at DuPont that had a Mystic Cobra around 96 or 97 he bought his wife (she ragged it out and let other dudes drive it all the time around hermitage --I raced it one night and some guy was driving it that wasn't even her husband). Chris aka Reef might know who I'm talking about and know if it was the same guy that owned the white notch built by Delk.

But when he pulled up at the lake, just idling, the pipes were blowing the grass ever hit. :lol:

But yeah, he floored it leaving the lake and it spun the whole time but still left fast as crap. :3gears:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to fix a 4 cylinder TURBO notch 5 speed cheap And daily it. But you are right about it becoming a classic. I've seen prices go up here in the past year

There I fixed it for you

Cody likes this

that white coupe doesnt sound like the one I was thinking of, thought it might have been my friend Bruce's old car but as I think about it his was a very light gray and only had nitrous along with long tube headers and so on.

I went and looked at the blue coupe above last night.  It was very nice, the paint and trim are perfect.  It has an sn95 brake conversion up front and most all of the wiring is still there.  The bad, It's missing a lot of the interior, the fuel lines have been cut, the stock tank is gone.  It's an original 92 bimini car, but the k-member was red for some reason.  The cage was a 6 point and welded to the body.  Just too many negatives and it would nickel and dime me to death to put it back together.  So, the search continues.  I have hope, I've seen a few nice coupes online sell for way under what I have budgeted for this, just have to find the right one.

mstrpth likes this

That sucks.  The interior to me is the hardest thing to replace.  The fuel lines could be replaced, I think LMR has a kit for it.

Everything can be fixed with time and money.  I don't want to spend much of either on this one. 

I see cars like these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-LX-5-0-Coupe-/321716768518?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ae7d04f06&item=321716768518

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-lx-/111639645300?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19fe3dcc74&item=111639645300

I would have to spend $12k and 6 months to get the blue car to that point.  I just doesn't make sense.  I would still really prefer a white or silver car, so that's a ding against the blue car although it is really nice.

JohnC likes this