Ashley P

LS engine oil/coolant loss

32 posts in this topic

2005 chevy truck, 5.3L, 100k-ish miles.  Customer claims it's using a couple gallons of coolant in 1000 miles, 2 quarts oil in 300 miles.   I see no external leaks (after much looking).  It's smokes on start up, smells...hard to say, shoot, it's like 12 degrees today!  Smells mostly like oil but could have a sweet antifreeze tinge.  Pulled the valve cover to inspect PCV baffle = no problem with that.   Some kinda milky residue on the valve cover...

Are these things prone to some sorta goofy issue?

706.  It held pressure for 2 hours yesterday.  The oil level has been going DOWN and is not milky at all, only some accumulation on the valve cover.

If it's a cracked head, does it show itself at a particular engine temp or something??  I pressured it when 180ish degrees, it cooled to 70 and held pressure...

If y'all didn't notice, I like the help you gave. I wish I'd asked before spending a couple hours testing and scratching my head. Thanks Dis and Cody.

Cody and JohnC like this

No problem. Its a hit a miss with those heads. I know ppl running ported 862 heads and making a lot of power. Then you have one like these and leak on a stock engine.

JohnC likes this

Mstrpth was having oil consumption issues. Could this be his issue, too?

Can't recall his exact issues, but might be worth a shot for him to check. :yes:

Cody likes this

issues aint the word :lol:

the 706 # means nothing. you have to pull the rocker arm and look for the castech logo. sounds exactly like a cracked head...wish mine was doing the same

logo will be somewhere in this area

front<--- - --->back

post-83-0-65328200-1420722525_thumb.jpg

Cody likes this

I hope its not a faulty head and you figure it out. mines not having the coolant issues or using that much oil but I can't find the problem either.

I will say that this will be my last chevy/gm vehicle. between this and gm saying its acceptable for a car to use 2 quarts of oil per oil change...just to avoid fixing the issues with the 07+ motors is enough to keep me away.......unless I get a great deal on one :)

JohnC likes this

Don't blame you^

With what new cars cost now, they had better stand behind them and fix issues like this or they'll lose out. I'm not dropping $33k-$43k for the average vehicle to be stock with an oil burning lemon. :no:

mstrpth, I didn't need to see a logo as one of the three recesses was radically more clean than the others. My customer will need head/heads to fix coolant loss, but he's also claiming oil loss like you and I'm still scratching my head on that one...the oil baffle under the pcv was open not clogged.

well I hope you figure it out! I've also developed a loud ticking when starting. lifters I assume.

Oil is going past the rings once it's watered down. Fix the heads and the oil issue will likely go away.

Disney to the rescue! :w00t:

Being in your line of work, how often have you seen this happen?

Have u drained the oil on it? Most of he ones that we have seen at the shop have sludged up the oil really bad. We typically just replace the entire engine there so cheap used from LKQ.

Disney likes this

^how much they usually run? And where are they located?

interested in this info too

although mine has zero sludge