white03stang

New guy from Clarksville

54 posts in this topic

So you have ported stockers?

What do you think about the Trick Flow heads versus ported stock heads?

Always heard some ported stock PI heads did as well or better than TFS. Just wondering what made you decide on ported instead of TFS. :up:

Mine are stage 2 port from DSS they do OK but just didn't have money for tfs when I was building the motor. Stock ported can flow pretty close to TFS but you get a better combustion chamber and PTV clearance with TFS heads. Plus the TFS are less prone to detonation with the better combustion chamber. If I did it again I would go with ported TFS or the TFS r versions.

JohnC likes this

nice. i've seen it run a few times last time we were at the track. auto will def help. it has decent mph and will pick up et for sure with an auto. spun alot when we were there. car looks good by the way.

Thanks...yeah I lightened it up and was running 30 psi in my drag radials, forgot to let air out. I have some Hoosier qtp's now so hopefully no more traction problems.

Mine are stage 2 port from DSS they do OK but just didn't have money for tfs when I was building the motor. Stock ported can flow pretty close to TFS but you get a better combustion chamber and PTV clearance with TFS heads. Plus the TFS are less prone to detonation with the better combustion chamber. If I did it again I would go with ported TFS or the TFS r versions.

Yeah, I know all about the budget because if my budget hadn't got tight, I'd finished the 5.4L DOHC I was building up years ago instead of going aluminum PI.

If I decide to stick with the PI, I think I'll scrape up the cash for the TFS heads. :yes:

I've actually never come across anyone running the 4.6L TFS R's. Have you?

bigmike83 likes this

Yeah, I know all about the budget because if my budget hadn't got tight, I'd finished the 5.4L DOHC I was building up years ago instead of going aluminum PI.

If I decide to stick with the PI, I think I'll scrape up the cash for the TFS heads. :yes:

I've actually never come across anyone running the 4.6L TFS R's. Have you?

Don't know of anyone with the R's either. My buddy is running the regular trick flows and a 150 shot he put down 330ish on motor and high 500s on spray so they make good power for a crappy 2v motor.

Ditch the 2v and do a coyote swap if you ever have the money. Mine will have a coyote one day.

JohnC and bigmike83 like this

We all need to look in to these F150 5.0 DOHC motors. I know they have a tad lower CR, but I think we could probably find a good deal on one and I bet there wouldn't be much if any performance difference when it is all said and done. Worst case, we'd have to crack it open and swap in some pistons to up the CR to the Coyote specs. :yes:

Who's going to be first to try it? :hyper:

My wallet says I won't be first. :no::lol:

Those coyote stock cars are bad ***** . yeah a light car with a coyote can go 10s with a tune. Throw in some spray and go 9s. I'm gona give it a few more years and pick one up cheap and build it up. Until then just max the 2v out

bigmike83 likes this

Yeah, sounded like you rode the clutch out pretty far. Might want to let out fully on the clutch and ease on the go-pedal to see if you pick up some ET without too much wheel-spin.

Yeah, sounded like you rode the clutch out pretty far. Might want to let out fully on the clutch and ease on the go-pedal to see if you pick up some ET without too much wheel-spin.

Yeah I was still learning to drive it with a little more power....getting a driver mod auto no more man pedal. It went 8.4 with full bolt ons 4 years ago

Its a vortech si trim...think I paid 2700 for the kit then about 500 in the intercooler and piping....I should have went turbo

for only 15 grand hahahahaha

Yep. And that is why there are so many LSx swaps in Fords going on. :yes:

I think Ford missed what made the 87-93 Mustang so popular in the design of the new Mustangs. Low cost, easy to work on, responds well to mods, plentiful and affordable after-market parts support.

They killed it with the weak 4.6L's. They're harder to work on, bigger in physical size, so small space under the hood doesn't help. They're expensive for Ford to build because of complex OHC design. They are more expensive in the after-market parts support mostly because the aforementioned and because they keep changing them; the after-market has to re-engineering everything so often. Etc...

Chevy won that battle so far.

Now if we had a Chevy comparable to the Coyote, I guess it would level the playing field. :yes:

Just think if the Coyote was a 6.0L or 6.2L. It would definitely make more power than the pushrod of the same liters IMHO. :hyper:

i will not argue that the coyote motors are pretty badass just expensive still. cant wait till they come down in price and become more plentiful to see what people can do with them 

JohnC likes this