Raceall

Return of Raceall

Rate this topic:

197 posts in this topic

I really think that I may give up on the Nova for a while, maybe a very long while.  With a 50-55 hour/week "bill-paying" job, and being the pastor of a church, I just can't justify spending the time in the garage, and away from my wife and baby.  Plus, I just don't have the motivation for it, anymore.  I really want it on the road, and REALLY want to drive it, but when I only have about 2 hours per night, after work, I just don't have the desire to work on it, anymore.  Time with the kiddo > busting knuckles.

mstrpth likes this

I've scaled my garage time down considerably as well but got the car running right before Luke came along so I know it's not far from driving at any time or during any small project which keeps me motivated to take 20 minutes to an hour here and there when I can.  Either chip away at it small projects at s time or just put it on the shelf and let it sit for a bit till the bug bites again and time permits.  It won't hurt anything for it to sit for a bit longer.

Matt

22 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

What's left to do?

Not a ton. I have to put the gas tank in, run fuel line, carburetor, radiator, gauges, shifter, driveshaft, exhaust, lights, fenders, grill, hood, trunk lid, wheels and tires. My plan was to have it moving under its own power, this week, while I was on vacation. Instead, I lost all motivation towards the car and mowed yards, instead. I think I got discouraged and frustrated because it' not as easy as it was 20 years ago, and I have forgotten a lot in 20 years. Plus, I would rather spend time playing with Mags and studying/working for the church, right now. I told Jess that I'm tempted to load up all my parts, put the car on the trailer, and give Lyndell (or you) a day's labor and say, "Get done what you can."

I know you've to more important irons in the fire, but at least you've got it stored close enough to be able to work on it a little on a whim.  So like Matt said, you could "chip away at small" stuff without killing time commuting or such.  Hey, how 'bout I fix your car...and you finish my house?   I live IN my project that I don't work on (much at all)!  lol

66sprint6 likes this

My free time and car time pretty much ended in 2004 and just returned. I had lost interest in as well but it will come back. I am even to the point were I am now picking up a wrench vs having things done. Enjoy the kid and the time you have with family as it WILL GO FAST and then they are off and running. 

Disney and mstrpth like this

#1 thing you got to have with hotrod projects is patience.

Why?

Because time and money.

They never balance out.

You ether have more time than money or more money than time.

You just have to use what you got when you have it and stick to the game plan.

I've been trying for 20+ years to have a fast fun DD.

From a POS NPI GT to this SS.

I'm just now making some progress.

I'm still up against a wall (technology) because these new cars are coming out everyday with more and more HP and faster.

It's crazy you can get a Camaro SS or GT Mustang and hit low 12's stock!

We used to have to spend $$$ and bust the hell out of some knuckles to go that fast in the 80's 90's and early 2k!

And that's what sucks; I've always been behind the technology curve.

When I had the NPI GT the PI came out. After I did a PI swap, the 3v comes out. Then the Coyote comes out.

No way I could keep up at the time without doing full motor swaps or just buying a new hotrod and doing bolt-ons every 5 or 6 years.

So yeah, stick to the plan. Work on when you have the time and money, and heck with it when you don't.

Work on it when it feels like fun and relaxing. Don't make it a frustrating project.

That's my advice. :up:

For me, I remember how fun it was when we built the car, the first time, in 93/94.  20 years after I tore it apart, after wrecking it, it and I have changed. LOL

Somebody nearby and computer and photo savvy needs to get your butt put on the Garage Squad TV show. You aren't far off from a good running car. Like you said, you just need a kick start. And if it was running and driving, you'd probably enjoy the heck out of it and have even more family fun.

Raceall, JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

15 hours ago, Jamtoy said:

Enjoy the kid and the time you have with family as it WILL GO FAST and then they are off and running. 

:agree: 

I saw this one on a Nova Facebook group, of which I am a member.  I was going to put Torq Thrusts on mine, and it's the same color mine was, so it gave me a good visual.  I have actually messed around with mine a bit in the past couple of days.

"Messed around" means you tried to find it after it ran away from the Mustang doing a burnout in front of your house??  :D

Do you need a C Herbert solid roller camshaft?  MP thought he had a hydraulic roller...but instead it's mechanical of about .525" lift and 242 duration.  

What did you get done on the CCN?

2 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

"Messed around" means you tried to find it after it ran away from the Mustang doing a burnout in front of your house??  :D

Do you need a C Herbert solid roller camshaft?  MP thought he had a hydraulic roller...but instead it's mechanical of about .525" lift and 242 duration.  

What did you get done on the CCN?

Cam - tempting.

I pulled the passenger side header off to mess with the starter.  The solenoid won't do anything.  I believe that, when Dad unhooked my B&M shifter and hooked the column shifter back up, he ended up with the trans in gear or something.  So, I need to get the car up in the air, so I can get my fat self under it. LOL

Posted (edited)

^ Another problem for a 4 speed to solve.  :yes:

Park neutral switch in the column?  What position is the column in?  My Trans Am was console shift, but still used the column for park/neutral and key lock of the shifter. :)

Edit:  Just shotgunned a certain 68 442.  3.90s with close ratio 4 speed.  Needs a carb tune.  I'm angling for a test drive. :hyper:  That'll scare the fenders off the no-go, uh NOVA.

Edited by Ashley P

The column shifter feels a little odd, so it could have to do with it.  Off the top of my head, I don't remember where the neutral switch is.  I can get the one for my new shifter, and hook it up in place, and I think that will cure the issue.

I'm assuming you are speaking of LJ's 68 442.  I had heard that he had picked it up from Rodney's.

As soon as his schedule clears up, I'm loading the Nova up and taking it to Ashley's brother.  Hopefully, he can get some progress done to it, for me.

Also, I was able to score a set of Caltrac bars for the car.  They had about 10 passes on them when the guy decided to change the car over to a ladder bar setup.

66sprint6 likes this