Raceall

Return of Raceall

Rate this topic:

175 posts in this topic

I've been buying some parts for a while, but last weekend, I finally got to start to work on the car Nova.  After ordering leafsprings, shackles, body bushings, and a new gas tank, I had bought pretty well everything I needed to get the car back on the ground and get it moving under its own power.  My plan, for last weekend, was to put the new springs under it and put the body bushings on, and hopefully put the new gas tank in.  Then, this weekend, my plan was to start the car and let it run for a while.  Unfortunately, as often happens, my plans were derailed a bit.  I did not make near the progress, I had hoped for, last weekend.  And, then today, I received my third backorder notice on the gas tank.  Despite a scheduled ship date of 11-21, it is now scheduled to ship on 1-12-15.  As soon as I get the car setting on the ground, instead of up on blocks, I'll post some pictures.  Please keep in mind that this may be the interweb's slowest build thread (No comments, Ashley P!).

Cody and JohnC like this

I'll keep you guys up to date.  I just found another tank for the same price and free shipping, so tomorrow, I will get it on the way.  I'm hoping to have another project soon, too.  It's possible that I may be getting one of my granddad's tractors, a 1955 Oliver Super 55.

JohnC likes this

I can't wait to get it on the road, even if it's just in primer.  After that, I should be ready to start building the big block, getting paint on it, and start getting it ready for the big motor.  With the number of horses, I'm shooting for, I'm trying to decide if I want to cage it, even though it is primarily a street car.

I just hate to cut the car.  On the other hand, it is a car that will never be sold.  It has been in the family its whole life, and has been passed down.  I intend to do the same.  So "resale" value doesn't matter. While I don't want to drastically change the car, I don't have to worry about it being a pristine, numbers correct resto.

Get some pics up when you can. And put a bolt in cage in it. I'm not sure if they make them for those. And I have the same thing with my nova. It hasn't been in the family its whole life but it has a lot of sentimental to me. I will never sell it. But it's been cut up pretty good already lol heidts front end, mini tubbed and a nhra approve cage to go 9s lol

Unless you plan to drag race it a lot, don't do the cage. If you are tall, you'll bump your head getting in and out. They also transmit every single noise all throughout the car.

JohnC likes this

Is that a maro I see in the corner? Lol

And looks awesome man

That's my dad's 92 Vette.  There is a thread in the For Sale section with a lot of pictures.  When his health took a downward turn, last year, he tried to sell it.  Fortunately, he's doing a ton better and decided to keep the car.

Cody likes this

Unless you plan to drag race it a lot, don't do the cage. If you are tall, you'll bump your head getting in and out. They also transmit every single noise all throughout the car.

That's something else that concerned me, Mike.  I'm 6'2"/265, so I worried about getting in and out.

That's something else that concerned me, Mike.  I'm 6'2"/265, so I worried about getting in and out.

I'm the same height and I have to be careful not to hit my head on the roof bars when getting in and out of the car.  And the down bars by the dash get in the way of comfortably sliding in and out of the car, but they could be tucked into the car further if done again.

Mine is a pretty nice cage with removable door bars, so it's fine for what I want to do, but If it was to build the car from scratch and never drag race it, I might not bother with a cage.

Put a cage in it. The extra protection never hurts

Actually, on the street, are you going to wear a helmet to protect your head from the cage in the event of a fender bender?

Oh, I think the Nova should have a cage and 5 point harness.  That way, when my fantasy GTO blows it's doors COMPLETELY off it's driver can stay behind the wheel to accurately control the shutdown from 50 mph.   In the quarter.

And, you may want to put some extra WOOD SCREWS in those doors...

Oh, I think the Nova should have a cage and 5 point harness.  That way, when my fantasy GTO blows it's doors COMPLETELY off it's driver can stay behind the wheel to accurately control the shutdown from 50 mph.   In the quarter.

And, you may want to put some extra WOOD SCREWS in those doors...

Your operative word is "fantasy."

Cody likes this

So, the old gas tank came out, today.  Unfortunately, they sent me the wrong shackle with the leaf spring.  Just like a woman, all it wants is another 1/2 inch. (I apologize if you come to any inappropriate conclusions to that last statement.)

Cody, JohnC and Kpate like this