JohnC

Coyote powered Mustang bangs 3rd gear with car on the bumper and wins the race!

28 posts in this topic

What's with that exhaust tone??  So much like an Indy car or F1, do they have a firing order that gives "perfect" exhaust scavenging on each bank?

And it's the 3rd gear shift as he touches the front wheels down?

They rev really high, especially at launch which blows my mind.  He hits 3rd RIGHT as the wheels are about to touch down.  Badass doesnt even begin to describe it.  Someone knows the car and trusts his setup very very much!

Matt

I do see what your sayin tho, sounds alot like those F1/Indy cars.

Matt

I don't know how to describe that sound...but it's different than any other auto engine I've ever heard, except for the all out racing Indy/F1 engines.

The last race on Sunday was the best, turbo Coyote class vs Termi/GT500 class.  The Coyote picked it up, bounced down, backup and slammed it back down w/sparks and never let out of it, still lost but made for a hell of a show. The guy in the Termi about slapped the wall in an earlier race at about the 750 mark and never let out.  These two guys are nuts.

JohnC likes this

The last race on Sunday was the best, turbo Coyote class vs Termi/GT500 class.  The Coyote picked it up, bounced down, backup and slammed it back down w/sparks and never let out of it, still lost but made for a hell of a show. The guy in the Termi about slapped the wall in an earlier race at about the 750 mark and never let out.  These two guys are nuts.

Dang, find me a video of this!!! :hyper:

They rev really high, especially at launch which blows my mind.  He hits 3rd RIGHT as the wheels are about to touch down.  Badass doesnt even begin to describe it.  Someone knows the car and trusts his setup very very much!

Matt

When I seen the video, I couldn't play sound, so I went by the title. But after playing it, he wasn't banging in to 3rd on the bumper. Still cool nonetheless! :yes:

You build a car for this class with a light flywheel, and I will put a heavier flywheel in it and go quicker.

You see, the engine power is (supposedly) equal between cars.  However, if one car can store more energy BEFORE the race to be used DURING the race then that's an advantage.  So, using a flywheel of high mass will allow more storage of energy to be used to get the car moving.  Sure, slippage of tires and clutch must be minimized to take advantage of that energy.  Yes, a heavy flywheel will slow the engine's acceleration for the entire run, but it's a trade off of MPH for lower ET.  Low ET wins every time.  Drag racing is about being quicker than your opponent, not faster.

And if  you want to get more energy from the flywheel, slam into a massive overdrive just before the finish line.

I can understand steel for safety in drag racing with slicks, etc.

But the 03-04 Cobra had an aluminum flywheel and it didn't hurt them off the line. They were heavy cars compared to these Coyote race cars and the stock Cobra makes a bit less HP/TQ as well.

It's a good comparison, so think about it a bit and get back to me. :yes:

My claim is that more kinetic energy is an advantage.  I'll propose that more Coyote class cars pull huge wheelies in the future (assuming no other rule changes).

My bench racer doesnt have a flywheel...or a Coyote but Ill tell you this...Ide take one with a wooden flywheel if someone were in the mood to donate!!!!!  Anyone wanna sponsor me?  I know where a shell is sitting...Ill provide the car, you provide the motor swap???

Matt

My claim is that more kinetic energy is an advantage. I'll propose that more Coyote class cars pull huge wheelies in the future (assuming no other rule changes).

According to the rules, some of them might be using aluminum flywheels already. :yes:

flywheel

Rules allow aluminum flywheel.

2: DRIVETRAIN

2.3 CLUTCH: Standard Ford OEM factory-replacement-style single disc diaphragm clutch required. Steel or aluminum 

pressure plate a minimum of 10.0-inch in diameter is required. Adjustable pressure plates, or long-style pressure plates 

are prohibited. Clutch operation must be operated using factory style cable mechanism. Ford vehicles using hydraulic 

clutch actuation may retro-fit ’79-’04 cable style mechanism. 

2.4 DRIVESHAFT: Driveshaft required to be only steel or only aluminum regardless of origin or manufacturer. 

2.11 REAREND: Ford 7.5-inch, 8.8-inch, or 9-inch rearend required. No Ratio restriction. 

2.12 MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS: Only specified OEM or specified aftermarket transmissions permitted. Overdrive 

gear(s) may be removed. Clutchless models prohibited. Any gear change must occur from direct action by the driver. 

Pneumatic, electric, hydraulic, etc. shifters prohibited. Pro-shifting is permitted. All transmissions must use either a) as 

produced, as supplied (unmodified,) OEM gears and/or gear sets for transmission used or b) specified stock replacement 

helical cut gears and/or gear sets in the exact form as submitted for consideration and accepted by the NMRA. Gears 

and/or gear sets may not be utilized from other models (i.e. T-56 gears may not be used in T-5 transmissions). 

Transmission used is required to have a gear ratio in all gears as offered by the transmission used. Welding or grafting 

part of one countershaft to part of another counter shaft will not be accepted. 

2.12a) PERMITTED MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS: 

Tremec T5, Tremec T45, Tremec T56, Tremec TR3550, Tremec TR3650, Tremec TKO, Tremec TKO-500, TKO-600, 

Tremec TKOII, & Ford Getrag. 

http://www.nmradigital.com/cat/class_rules/docs/2013/coyote-2013.pdf