mstrpth

gmc valve seals

66 posts in this topic

I've got to change mine in the near future - 04 gmc 1500

anyone here have any input on brand? autozone carries a few brands and I figured they're probably all about the same...

FEL PRO, SS71039, at OReilly they're about $27.

Are you sure you need them, or is it a PCV issue?  Certain early LS trucks needed a different PCV to reduce oil consumption.

mstrpth likes this

smokes like crazy when started cold. using about a quart of oil every week or two. I haven't checked the head gaskets yet but it passes all visual test. i'll compression check it right before I do the valves

seems to be somewhat of a common problem with these trucks....according to google searches

i'm at a lost with this truck.

when I start it in the mornings, no smoke.

when I go to leave work in the evenings, it smokes for about 3-5 sec. White smoke, not blue, not a vapor smoke. just thick white smoke

if I don't start it in the morning and wait till noon or so, no smoke....

i'm using roughly a quart of oil to every 1.5 - 2 tanks of fuel.

i'm using roughly 1/4 quart of coolant every month - 2 months

I don't have any mixed fluids, and no loss of power.

this past weekend I changed the valve seals and spark plugs. all spark plugs looked normal with a hint of white on them (I assume from the oil, but no build up), 2 or 3 looked slightly oily...very slightly.

I haven't checked compression nor done any chemical test on the coolant tank. I thought maybe pcv valve but from what I read on my truck they can't be replaced and it doesn't show the normal signs of a bad pcv.?.?

It doesn't match anything I've seen and i don't really know my best course of action.

Oil is going somewhere, I just don't know how its getting there.

ever ran into anything like this?

I'd suggest you perform a chemical analysis on the smoke.  You know, smell it.

i thought about that last night. i'll give it a go today. i'm hoping the seals just needed time to "set" themselves...heres to hoping :lol:

I can only assume it will smell like oil, since that's the only thing I'm losing.

i'm using roughly a quart of oil to every 1.5 - 2 tanks of fuel.

i'm using roughly 1/4 quart of coolant every month - 2 months

Then what's that mean?  I know a cup of coolant is tiny, but where is it going?

Edited by Ashley P

Googleed and came up with:

Read to the end.. http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?PHPSESSID=9aa5bjb2m9bh40kqfjgdnes7v6&topic=138550.25

I know it's a different year than your, but seems they tuned off AFM, clean the cylinders with upper cylinder cleaner, do a tune up, run it until it cleans up and then change the oil and filter.

mstrpth likes this

smelled of exhaust and oil. nothing sweet about it..??

Googleed and came up with:

Read to the end.. http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?PHPSESSID=9aa5bjb2m9bh40kqfjgdnes7v6&topic=138550.25

I know it's a different year than your, but seems they tuned off AFM, clean the cylinders with upper cylinder cleaner, do a tune up, run it until it cleans up and then change the oil and filter.

I guess me putting in 2004 narrowed my search not letting me see this.

I have a tahoe with afm and it uses oil. I know now to have disabled.

i'll definitely try cleaning the system as they state, but my truck doesn't have AFM. So I've still got to narrow down the oil consumption. A certain number of these trucks used heads that are prone to developing a hair line crack. could that give me smoke(only when cold starting) and show no other signs?

I've come to the conclusion that i'm just overthinking it looking for a simple solution. in my mind it can only be 2 things....cracked head or head gasket. I don't show any other signs of a blown head gasket so i'm leaning towards cracked head......fml

EDIT - after reading about the fixed pcv valve, I've learned its under the drivers side valve cover. I noticed when I took that cover off that everything on that side of the motor was much darker than the pass side. could it be that I just need to attempt to clean the pcv or replace that valve cover?

I've come to the conclusion that i'm just overthinking it looking for a simple solution. in my mind it can only be 2 things....cracked head or head gasket. I don't show any other signs of a blown head gasket so i'm leaning towards cracked head......fml

EDIT - after reading about the fixed pcv valve, I've learned its under the drivers side valve cover. I noticed when I took that cover off that everything on that side of the motor was much darker than the pass side. could it be that I just need to attempt to clean the pcv or replace that valve cover?

Yeah, that's why I said read to the end. One part was the "fix" the other was about the valve cover and pcv issue. :yes:

Not sure if that's your problem, but it's a place to start. :up:

Yeah, that's why I said read to the end. One part was the "fix" the other was about the valve cover and pcv issue. :yes:

Not sure if that's your problem, but it's a place to start. :up:

i'm about 98% sure i'm looking at a head issue. in which case, i'm not so sure its even worth my time addressing it. may be time for a trade in...

i'm about 98% sure i'm looking at a head issue. in which case, i'm not so sure its even worth my time addressing it. may be time for a trade in...

You buying new or used next?

racing day light yesterday I took the valve covers off to find the casting logo. turns out its under the rocker arm support beam and I just didn't have the time.

looking at everything else, I didn't seem bad compared to most that have issues. This is the drivers side (pcv side). it seems to be the side that everyone has problems out of. the pass side is spotless.

there was only 1 spot that had any kind of residue.

gallery_83_4_2392973.jpg

gallery_83_4_836087.jpg

gallery_83_4_122235.jpg

Clean PCV, but if it doesn't solve the problem pull the heads and have them checked for cracks, and check/replace head gaskets?

I know it's a lot of work, etc., but it's still probably cheaper than buying another truck.

Clean PCV, but if it doesn't solve the problem pull the heads and have them checked for cracks, and check/replace head gaskets?

I know it's a lot of work, etc., but it's still probably cheaper than buying another truck.

I blew it out with air, which is about all you can do. a very small amount of oil seeped out. theres nothing to it really...just a hole and a plate.

side note - I did get the go ahead from my financial advisor to replace it with any vehicle of my choosing.

problem is i'm going to take a hit on trading it in. driving 40k - 50k miles per year doesn't help :)

so if I go that route i'll be looking to spend around $16k maybe more depending on what I get on trade in. I would like to see 20+ mpg.....fyi, trucks are not on my radar :)