Rate this topic:

206 posts in this topic

What's the benefit of face plating a trans?

No syncro.  A syncro is basically a clutch that slows down the actual gear as you shift.  It takes time for that gear to speed up or slow down according to how well the syncro is doing it's job.  That's why there is a pause going into gear when you shift just cruising around.

With face plating, you mechanically lock the two gears together instantly on a shift.  This is loud and not really parts friendly, so it's usually not advised for a street trans. 

http://www.libertysgears.com/faceplate-proshift.htm

ls1adam84 and JohnC like this

"Face plating" not only eliminates the synchro, but changes from many very small splines which engage with almost no "play" to a few very large "lugs" which are spaced to leave "play".   This "play" is the space that allows the splines to engage when the gears are turning different speeds.   At least that's the way a Jerico "dog ring" is made.468437d1340296260-new-jerico-transmissio

Edited by Ashley P

Looks the factory missed a bolt on the pick up tube. Crank looks like it's got some wear on it too.

post-242-0-52474400-1443631580_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-37843200-1443631776_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-37975400-1443631798_thumb.jpg

What you are showing is normal.  GM only put one bolt in the oil pump pickup.  But it is possible for the O-rings to have issues.

You won't see anything on the crank until you pull the rods and main caps.  I think what you are seeing as wear is just the raw unmachined casting surface.

Why only one bolt?

I'm a crank virgin so I honestly have no idea. Everything seems to be in good shape. Need to get a 24mm socket for the crank bolt first.

Why only one bolt?

I'm a crank virgin so I honestly have no idea. Everything seems to be in good shape. Need to get a 24mm socket for the crank bolt first.

Good luck with the crank bolt.

Good luck with the crank bolt.

Did you hit yours with an impact?

Edit: Yep, my 18V dewalt should get it done.

Edited by slim_9916

Yeah I used my snap-on 1/2 impact and it wouldn't get it off, so my buddy brought his Milwaukee 1/2 impact and took it off. Then I had a hard time taking the balancer off. My 3 jaw puller sucks but got the job done.

Add the dewalt to the list that can't get it done. Heated the bolt for 5 minutes and still wouldn't budge. Time for a bigger hammer.

Stand is too wobbly to do it with a breaker bar but what's the best way to secure the crank? Part of me wants to lean on it the old fashioned way now.

About 15 min south of Murfreesboro in Christiana. My gfs cousin is going to bring one of his impacts from work. I know he's got something for it since he works on diesels.

:lol: I'll line them up so we can get some good video of your car. 450hp pig vs 700hp plus viper.

Cody and JohnC like this

About 15 min south of Murfreesboro in Christiana. My gfs cousin is going to bring one of his impacts from work. I know he's got something for it since he works on diesels.

:lol: I'll line them up so we can get some good video of your car. 450hp pig vs 700hp plus viper.

I tried that in my truck, saw viper tail lights.

JohnC and Cody like this

Finally got it to break free. Didn't short on the thread lock :lol: Probably start disassembly tonight but the grass must be cut first.

post-242-0-49885800-1444172173_thumb.jpg

Cody and Tino like this

Forget about that grass

Don't you have a house now? You'll see. It's been a couple of weeks and I'm tired of stomping through wet grass with the dogs in the morning.

Cody likes this

Don't you have a house now? You'll see. It's been a couple of weeks and I'm tired of stomping through wet grass with the dogs in the morning.

I have guy mow it for 10 dollars lol