JohnC

Stock Motor TT V6 Mustang Eats V8's!

20 posts in this topic

One of the strangest sounding, and most unsuspecting Mustangs we've run into, this V6 Turbocharged Mustang built by Limitless Performance caught us off guard street racing in OKC during Street Car Takeover OKC when it paired up against a 560hp Nitrous BOSS 302 Coyote and gave it a run for it's money! Then at the track it put down a badass pass against Stangkilr's Supercharged C7 Stingray Corvette!

Cool car for sure and I love seeing how much abuse a stock motor can put out nowadays (from Ford at least).  Otherwise...Ide rather have a 5.0 and the leftover cash for mods.  Hell, the spray car eases past him up top and never looks back.  That and the V6, unless you upgrade it, blows the driveshaft up around 135 which might be why he let up in those runs.  Usually this kinda stuff is up my alley but Im not a fan of the V6 Mustang...ever really.  Ive seen some fast ones, the Delk boys had that white turbo 3.8 but when the other option is the new 5.0...no contest.  Good looking, quick car tho I cant say otherwise.

Matt

Oh and I think it sounds alot like a Buick GN...which means it sounds like **** lol.  Never heard a GN that sounded good, but it didnt have to sound good, cause altho alot of em sound like ****, they also go like **** and thats where they are cool!

Matt

I don't have sound at work.  But all I can think is who in their right mind would try to make a v6 fast.  Idiot.

I also agree with the buick v6 sounding like crap.  But it sounds like mayhem inside the car, so I can deal with it.

I don't have sound at work.  But all I can think is who in their right mind would try to make a v6 fast.  Idiot.

I also agree with the buick v6 sounding like crap.  But it sounds like mayhem inside the car, so I can deal with it.

I sense copious amounts of sarcasm here. :lol:

Cool car for sure and I love seeing how much abuse a stock motor can put out nowadays (from Ford at least).  Otherwise...Ide rather have a 5.0 and the leftover cash for mods.  Hell, the spray car eases past him up top and never looks back.  That and the V6, unless you upgrade it, blows the driveshaft up around 135 which might be why he let up in those runs.  Usually this kinda stuff is up my alley but Im not a fan of the V6 Mustang...ever really.  Ive seen some fast ones, the Delk boys had that white turbo 3.8 but when the other option is the new 5.0...no contest.  Good looking, quick car tho I cant say otherwise.

Matt

All cars have a weakness someplace.

The V6 DS exploding is a huge design flaw IMHO being in a car they know folks will mod to try to go faster in. But it's also an easy and cheap fix. One of the first mods I did to my car was an Aluminum FRPP DS, but just to shave weight, not cure issues. :yes:

The Coyote is badass and mod for mod would eat the V6, but...

I wouldn't look down on a Turbo V6 Mustang that was smoking those cars in the video and almost hanging steady with a modded Nitrous Coyote Boss 302. Heck, the vette had a procharger, too. So he's giving Nitrous and boosted V8's a hard time! You got to give credit where its due. That V6 Turbo rocks!

I'd bet he has less in it than the Boss and Vette money wise, so that's got to sting a little bit for the other guys running him as well. :3gears:

I sense copious amounts of sarcasm here. :lol:

Maybe that's experience talking.   :winkgrin:

Seriously,  If your goal is going fast and you have a choice between the 6 or the 8 it's not wise to try to hop up the 6.  Resale value, aftermarket support and limits of power are all better with a v8.  I helped Matt at Delk with his v6 years ago.  I tried talking sense into him time after time. He could spend the same amount of money on the v8 and it would be faster.  But, had he ran 9's with a v8, nobody would know who he was.  It would have been just another mustang.

Apparently I'm dumb because I didn't take my own advice.  The difference in mine it it's a unique car only available with the v6.  I thought many times of swaping to an LS, but then it would have been just another LS swapped GN and 9's are all that impressive.

So, if your goal is to be different or take on a challenge and you have lots of money to burn, mod the v6.

JohnC likes this

In the case of that V6, it is stock plus the turbo kit. Still cheaper than a Coyote 5.0. I'd bet insurance is cheaper, too. :yes:

That's what makes it cool. Makes a lot of power, is faster than a 5.0 for less $, and it's holding up! :3gears:

Trust me, I'd have no problem driving a boosted V6 3.7L Mustang. :lol:

I'd be interested to see how long the bottom end holds together. Seems like they have it turned up pretty good to run with those cars.

JohnC likes this

I got nothin against building up I/V6 cars...duh...lol but I just dont like the V6 Mustangs, never have.  GNs are different, they are awesome and always will be regardless of how bad they sound.  Actually, they sound so terrible that whenever you hear that sound you KNOW its a GN is fixin to eat someone's lunch lol.  The whistle from the turbo takes it from bad to badass.  I dunno tho, I see a fast V6 Mustang and I think "cool" and enjoy watching em (again, Matt @ Delks car comes to mind) but I personally wouldnt buy a V6 Mustang with ANY intention on modding it beyond boltons for speed.  Again, its just a personal thing really...just isnt what Ide wanna spend that much money on.  I like the idea of the Ecoboost Mustang comin out alot but not really in on the V6 outside of a decent little DD car like my ST is.  If Im tossing cash at a newer car to make it quick Im tossing it at a 5.0.

Unfortunately, instead Im tossing money at a POS inline 6 that makes just enough power to blow gaskets and oil all over the place so again, look whos talkin LOL

Matt

I too am interested in longevity.  I wouldnt be surprised tho if it lasted a looooong looooong time with a good tune.  Ford has been putting together some decent motors lately that put up with some abuse.  Then again he could already have blown it up for all we know LOL

Matt

But if they put an 365hp Eco-boost TT V6 in the Mustang for less cost than the GT, would you rock it? :D

We all know my love for just about every EcoBoost setup out there, and the addition of the 2.3 Ecoboost excites me more than the V6 non turbo.  But if the price OR the MPG difference isnt enough to matter, Coyote it is!  If they tossed a V6TT Ecoboost in the stang, same rules would have to apply.  Ide be more inclined to buy an already turbocharged smaller motor in the Mustang than buying a V6 and tossing a turbo on it.  Ide be more inclined to buy a turbocharged 4 or 6 cylinder and replace the stock turbo with bigger ones lol but I cant even entertain the idea of buyin a V6 mustang WITH the sole idea that Im gonna toss money at it to make it faster.  I have a friend with one and he bought it cause he could afford it, insurance was slightly better for him and it got better economy.  Cool, its his DD so I get it.  He's owned it a handful of years and is tossing around the idea of boosting it somehow.  I can get that, he has fallen in love with the car over the years and wants to make it quicker.  Im down with that, but since I personally dont have a new Mustang, I would have to go out and buy one and I couldnt make myself put down the cash for a 2011-2014 V6 and then toss more cash at it to run slightly slower than a Coyote on spray.  Props to it runnin that quick, im not taking away from how quick it is cause its awesome, ask the Corvette owner who got out driven and walked on by a V6 pony car, but I would rather buy a Coyote and boost it  :drool:

Matt

That car must be doing something right to have a bunch of 6 popper peeps in here gawking at it..... :2fingers:  :2fingers:  :2fingers:

Yes, I'd drive that harder than my Johnson in Kate Upton's butt.......

JohnC likes this