Rate this topic:

151 posts in this topic

Hoooooold up! He wants an auto in a Coyote Fox? Say it isn't so!!!!! :eeek: 

I guess us old guys grew up in a time when auto's were slush boxes that belonged in boxy 80's/90's Lincoln Towncars.

We demanded every ounce of that 225hp and there is no way we'd want to be beat by a stock 5 speed 5.0 in our bolt-on 5.0 auto! :lol: 

These 6+ speed auto's, I understand they're just as good as a stick now and no man can shift as fast as these new trans do, so I guess no loss there.

Still, something about a manual just does it for me! :3gears: 

Auto ftw lol I'd rather have am auto myself. Manuals are fun a little while but then it gets old because its only 30 everywhere in Bruceton lol

So our dilemma to this point was his desire for an automatic transmission.  Unfortunately, the controls module offered for putting a coyote in a fox, up to this point, only supports a manual setup.  However, as of last week, it looks like that is going to change beginning in January:

http://www.stangtv.com/features/pri-coverage/pri-2015-ford-rolls-out-coyote-power-module-with-auto-transmission

With this news, not only can we get a controls pack that supports and automatic, we can go with a latemode lead 6-speed auto, to boot!

Get a truck computer use HP Tuners to tune it with and you can turn the epats off.

Sent from wiring harness hell

Cody and JohnC like this

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hoooooold up! He wants an auto in a Coyote Fox? Say it isn't so!!!!! :eeek: 

I guess us old guys grew up in a time when auto's were slush boxes that belonged in boxy 80's/90's Lincoln Towncars.

We demanded every ounce of that 225hp and there is no way we'd want to be beat by a stock 5 speed 5.0 in our bolt-on 5.0 auto! :lol: 

These 6+ speed auto's, I understand they're just as good as a stick now and no man can shift as fast as these new trans do, so I guess no loss there.

Still, something about a manual just does it for me! :3gears: 

For me, personally, I agree with your preference of a manual transmission.  The only modern Mustang (2005-up) I owned that was NOT a manual was the 2005 GT and while the car overall was great, it was not fun to drive.    That being said, having just recently test-driven a manual and an automatic 2016 GT, the current 6-speed auto is a different animal from what came before it.  After driving them, I would still not own the automatic, but if someone else elected to go that route, I sure wouldn't dig at them for the decision.   Fact is, modern, electronically controlled automatics will, in all but the most rare instances, run better quarter-mile times with more consistency that the manual cars.

At the end of the day, this is going to be Nathan's daily-driver, so if he feels more comfortable with an automatic, I'll support that decision versus trying to force him into what I feel would be more enjoyable.   I doubt the difference in parasitic loss between the auto an manual will even be noticed by him.

Cody and JohnC like this

1 hour ago, Cody said:

Auto ftw lol I'd rather have am auto myself. Manuals are fun a little while but then it gets old because its only 30 everywhere in Bruceton lol

I never felt that way until I got older. Sometimes in traffic, my left leg gets tired with that Ford King Cobra HD clutch with cable (no hydraulic clutch here). But as soon as I get out of traffic, i forget all about that and go right back to loving the manual. :D 

Cody likes this

Manual all the way, makes all cars more fun, DDs to racecars!  That and when/if he gets to where he wants to move on from the ole Fox, Ill buy it back if its a manual LOL

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Awesome! Glad to see the continuation of this project!  :up:

That'll be a fun car because Fox's weigh a good bit less than the new Coyote powered cars. :3gears:

Getting close to getting it on the road.  Of course, it’s the details that are slowing down progress. The latest being how do we configure gauges in the stock dash to accommodate the coyote swap?   Answer, a new gauge cluster:

6AB0E336-8AA2-4583-9A74-5E2A97299E9D.jpeg

Disney and JohnC like this

6 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Matt

Crazy thing is, it weighs so much less than the new GT's that he'll be able to smoke you petty easily on a good tire. :duck:

;)

1 hour ago, Nostalgic1 said:

What were you expecting?☹️

Ive never been a fan of aftermarket gauges in the Fox for some reason.  I never even liked the white backgrounds people would put in back in the day.  The factory gauges were good enough and that was always that.  Your particular circumstances (and what wonderful circumstances indeed!!!) made the choice to go aftermarket MUCH easier to make and the setup you posted up looks RIGHT at home in the Fox cluster and itll be much more plug and play so its a win-win.

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Crazy thing is, it weighs so much less than the new GT's that he'll be able to smoke you petty easily on a good tire. :duck:

;)

He will be able to smoke me on DONUT spares.  You on the other hand...better get something sticky ;)

:lol:

Matt

22 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Ive never been a fan of aftermarket gauges in the Fox for some reason.  I never even liked the white backgrounds people would put in back in the day.  The factory gauges were good enough and that was always that.  Your particular circumstances (and what wonderful circumstances indeed!!!) made the choice to go aftermarket MUCH easier to make and the setup you posted up looks RIGHT at home in the Fox cluster and itll be much more plug and play so its a win-win.

He will be able to smoke me on DONUT spares.  You on the other hand...better get something sticky ;)

:lol:

Matt

I got something for ya! ;)