Nostalgic1

Foxbody Mustang Restoration Finally getting busy on Nathan's foxbody...

Rate this topic:

125 posts in this topic

Picked up a Cervini cowl hood for the car a couple of weeks ago and got around to throwing it on this evening. That was the final component of the body needed before taking the final steps toward getting paint on the car. Still debating whether to do it myself or hiring the job out to someone with the talent and facilities to do a good job. I just don't think spraying it in my garage is going to give me the results I'm looking for.

post-92-0-96274200-1438216643_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nostalgic1
mstrpth and JohnC like this

Unless the paint and body work is a fun exercise for you, I'd farm it out. :yes:

I never had much luck getting paint perfect myself. And knowing your mistakes that nobody else will probably ever notice will bug you endlessly if you're a perfectionist.

After much debate and discussion, we have elected to let a professional do the paint. Since all of the trim removal/prep work was already been done to the car, it greatly reduced the price of the job and made it much easier to justify having it farmed out. car was delivered Saturday and we're hoping to have it back in a few weeks.

In the meantime, we have started the process of making an inventory of the interior parts to determine what might need to be replaced or repaired. Matt's car had a complete interior, so it's nice to know everything we needed was with the car. One change we will be making is converting the original non-sport/standard seating for sport/highback units, and I was able to pick up a pair this week. At this point, Nathan needs to decide on the scheme/color plan for the interior and then we can start ordering the correct parts/paints/dyes needed to refresh the cabin.

JohnC likes this

Is he wanting the sport seating or is it a budget thing?

Because I'd probably go after-market on at least the front seats and maybe do a rear seat delete. :yes:

I'd be looking around salvage yards for a crashed mustang with Recaro's. :up:

Just tossing out ideas. :love:

Took a stab at upholstery for the first time today. Ordered a front/back set from TMI and started the tear down and installation this morning. Finished the back seats (easy work) and now need to get started on the fronts. For the fronts, I picked up a set of sport seats a couple of weeks ago in trade for some other parts and will tackle them ASAP.

Here is a picture of the new back bottom completed and the factory blue it replaced:

post-92-0-82392800-1440872832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nostalgic1
JohnC and Cody like this

Ide like to have it around, never know when the next Fox will come around and having a little something from the old setup to toss at it if needed would be cool!

Matt

Upholstery is completed and ready to go in once we get the car back from paint. Here's a crappy phone pic of the front seats. I need to let them stretch a little naturally and then go back and make any adjustments that might be needed to give them the cleanest/tightest look.

post-92-0-85902800-1441467798_thumb.jpg

Cody, JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

Brodie, were the seat pads hog ringed down or velcro style?

Hog-ringed. The new upholstery was installed exactly the way the factory original material was on the foam/frames.

Ah, was gonna say if it was the Velcro style in the pads you could use your hand (karate chop like) and seat the ridges correctly into the foam, used to do that on Katzkin stuff.

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Oh my! That looks sexy! :yum:

What shop did the paint again? 

Man, your son must be absolutely excited out of his mind at this point! :yes: 

Taylor's Colors in Eagleville.  And yes, he's excited to be getting it back home, because that means it's that much closer to getting on the road!

JohnC likes this