Nostalgic1

Foxbody Mustang Restoration Finally getting busy on Nathan's foxbody...

Rate this topic:

111 posts in this topic

So as some of you know, my son bought Matt's foxbody coupe last year as a project car. After a winter/spring of little action, we finally started making progress. We're getting really close to being ready for paint/body.

post-92-0-61165400-1403992212_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnC
JohnC likes this

Judging by your fastback, I know this is going to be one clean Fox! :yes:

Did you decide what motor and Trans combo yet? :3gears:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No decision on drivetrain yet.

On a related note, there is always that one bolt. Took forever to drop the k-member yesterday thanks to one stubborn bolt. It did come off in the end though! Vice-Grips FTW.

I'll try to get some pics up later this week of the progress.

JohnC likes this

No decision on drivetrain yet.

On a related note, there is always that one bolt. Took forever to drop the k-member yesterday thanks to one stubborn bolt. It did come off in the end though! Vice-Grips FTW.

I'll try to get some pics up later this week of the progress.

I always say that too. It'll be more easy than expected, and then you get to that one bolt.... :lol:

Can't wait to see the progress, Brodie! Keep us posted! :up:

Good luck with it...Im probably more anxious than anyone in here to see where it goes and its long road away from and maybe, never know, back to my garage LOL.  Keep it up and more than anything i hope yall both have a good time on it together!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Body work, what little was needed, completed and the car is in primer. Now the fun part, sanding in preparation for paint. Of course, we still have the hood, doors, trunk lid, front bumper cover and rear bumper cover left to prep and prime.

post-92-0-36178400-1404674688_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-34106100-1404674715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nostalgic1
JohnC likes this

Nice! Y'all are making good progress! :up:

Now the question. :D

What color have y'all chosen to paint it?

Sonic Blue or Dark Shadow Gray.

Ehh, Sonic Blue is looking old to me.

Old picture of my junk when clean.

gallery_1_1_14934.jpg

The Grape Ape S351 in same color

m5lp_0212_01_z+1997_mustang_saleen+cruis

Looks like this when a bit less clean (can't see metallic so well).

1997_00027_01.jpg

Nice! Y'all are making good progress! :up:

Now the question. :D

What color have y'all chosen to paint it?

He says he wants black. I've told him while it would look good in black, keeping a black car looking good requires a lot of work. If he does end up going with black, we'll look to do some things to the car to set it apart from every other black fox notch.
JohnC likes this

He says he wants black. I've told him while it would look good in black, keeping a black car looking good requires a lot of work. If he does end up going with black, we'll look to do some things to the car to set it apart from every other black fox notch.

Metallic silver and black < * IMHO

Just how and where would be the question - to be different. :yes:

Today we shot one of the colors he is considering on a side mirror housing. Obviously still needs to be wet sanded and buffed, but here's one color in consideration:

Dad definitely needs to practice his painting skills before we tackle the full car. Not happy with the amount of orange peel.

post-92-0-59179900-1406422920.jpg

Please tell me thats not a Chevy color.

It is absolutely NOT a Chevy color. Picture does not do it justice. It is a metallic orange.

Besides black, the other color being considered, and it would be my pick if it were my car, is Sterling a Grey Metallic.

I'm liking it. You don't see too many metallic orange Fox Mustangs running around (especially since there never was a production orange Fox). :up:

Yeah. This is the father son moment every boy dreams of. :yes:

I just got to say, you're an awesome dad, Brodie!

Will you be my dad, Brodie? lol

You will get the painting down Im sure, or you will get really good at sanding LOL.  Look forward to seeing what color he picks but outside of going back with the original color I think a Metallic Grey would be really cool!

Matt

mstrpth and JohnC like this

After spraying one car with metallic paint I learned that I did not know how to spray metallic paint.  I think I determined that the thickness of paint application determines the depth at which the metal sits.  Too thick and the metal settles to the bottom, too thin and it all sits on top.  Thus, my purple car had darker/no metal areas and lighter/all metal areas.  You may already know that, I just don't want anybody to make my mistake.

Cody likes this

After spraying one car with metallic paint I learned that I did not know how to spray metallic paint.  I think I determined that the thickness of paint application determines the depth at which the metal sits.  Too thick and the metal settles to the bottom, too thin and it all sits on top.  Thus, my purple car had darker/no metal areas and lighter/all metal areas.  You may already know that, I just don't want anybody to make my mistake.

Pics of purple car? :D

After spraying one car with metallic paint I learned that I did not know how to spray metallic paint. I think I determined that the thickness of paint application determines the depth at which the metal sits. Too thick and the metal settles to the bottom, too thin and it all sits on top. Thus, my purple car had darker/no metal areas and lighter/all metal areas. You may already know that, I just don't want anybody to make my mistake.

Thanks for the info. Now that the piece has been color sanded and buffed, it looks great and the metallics in it are about what I expected.

post-92-0-48376900-1438363689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nostalgic1

Moving right along now. All but the front and rear bumper covers are prepped for paint. Hoping to have everything ready and in color by the end of September. My friend, Steve Longacre, did this professional render of what we hope the car will look like if we do our part effectively.

post-92-0-93999700-1408054449_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nostalgic1
JohnC likes this