Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnC

Hellcat-powered Challenger SRT gets big boost to fight Mustang, Camaro

27 posts in this topic

Hellcat-powered Challenger SRT gets big boost to fight Mustang, Camaro New engine rated at more than 600 hp

post-1-0-94406900-1400708316.jpg

DETROIT -- The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT unveiled today is Chrysler Group’s first use of a new 6.2-liter supercharged V-8 engine rated at more than 600 hp to take on the Ford Mustang GT500 and Camaro ZL1.

The motor, known as the Hellcat, is expected to rival that of the 640-hp, 8.4-liter naturally aspirated V-10 that powers the automaker’s halo car, the 2014 SRT Viper.

post-1-0-29097000-1400708476.jpg

According to the automaker’s five-year business plan, the supercharged Hellcat is expected to migrate to other SRT vehicles, including the Charger SRT. The Hellcat is undergoing final calibration and does not yet have a specific power rating, a Chrysler spokesman said.

The Challenger SRT goes on sale later this year. Pricing was not announced.

The current 2014 Challenger SRT has a 6.4-liter naturally aspirated V-8 that produces 470 hp and 470 pounds-feet of torque. The Challenger is heavier and larger than either the Mustang or the Camaro, and in head-to-head comparisons usually trails in performance ratings. The 2014 Mustang Shelby GT500 is rated at 662 hp, while the 2014 Camaro ZL1 is rated at 580 hp.

post-1-0-37003700-1400708548_thumb.jpg

For 2015, Dodge will split its Challenger SRT into two levels -- one with its traditional 6.4-liter Hemi, which has been increased from 470 hp to 485 hp and its torque rating from 470 pounds-feet to 475 pounds-feet -- and the higher-end version with the Hellcat. Either can be mated to a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmission.

On a Web chat with journalists and others, Dodge engineers and executives said that the Hellcat achieves its peak power levels at 6,000 rpm, and that the Challenger SRT’s front fascia and hood are unique to Hellcat versions.

The Hellcat-powered Challenger will come with two key fobs, Dodge said. A black key fob automatically limits the engine’s output to 500 hp, while a special red key fob unlocks its full power. A separate valet mode that can be unlocked only by a programmable code dramatically limits the output of the Challenger SRT engine to no more than 4,000 rpm and disables launch control.

post-1-0-73934700-1400708586_thumb.jpg

Dodge is also introducing new electronic drive modes on the 2015 Challenger SRT that uses electronic switches through the coupe’s Uconnect infotainment system to control horsepower, shift speeds, steering, traction and suspension.

Chrysler Group folded its fledgling SRT brand back into Dodge as the company presented its five-year business plan on May 6. It also recast Dodge going forward as its affordable performance brand, and CEO Sergio Marchionne said recently that SRT is a “natural extension” of the Dodge line.

For 2015, Dodge freshened all of its Challenger models, including expansive interior upgrades and minor exterior touches that keep the vehicle’s retro styling mostly intact. The Challenger SRT was noticeably absent from the lineup when the remaining 2015 Challengers were revealed at the New York auto show earlier this year.

“The new 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is the ultimate performance muscle car,” Dodge brand head Tim Kuniskis said in a written statement. He said the Hellcat was “the most powerful V-8 Chrysler has ever produced.”

Kuniskis said pre-ordering for the Challenger SRT and Hellcat-powered versions would open up this summer, and that volumes won’t be limited.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140520/OEM04/140529993/hellcat-powered-challenger-srt-gets-big-boost-to-fight-mustang-camaro

post-1-0-75070200-1400708339_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-90893900-1400708364_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-60738800-1400708387_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-82484300-1400708427_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-30482700-1400708449_thumb.jpg

Cody likes this

if only it weighed less but thats going to be a lot of power in that thing. and i love the new look. to me its the best looking new muscle car out. i just wouldnt buy one lol ill stick with my crappy 4th gen

JohnC likes this

I like it. :up:

It looks really nice and the interior looks far better than the outgoing model. :yes:

I'm glad to see Dodge competing in the muscle car market as well! :3gears:

Glad they didnt mess with the looks other than some well done tweaks.  Its always been a good looking car, glad it finally has some ponies too!!!  Mustang and Camaro have been waitin on Dodge to catch up!

Matt

JohnC likes this

I like that it has headlamp cold air intakes lol that is muscle car right there. I will be happy to see how it does on the track. The new SRT right now is pretty good.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

JohnC likes this

When I was growing up, 185hp V8's being basically standard and 225hp to 240HP being the cream of the crop, I never thought I'd see the day affordable muscle cars with in excess of 600hp would be out there, especially from all three of the big three manufacturers! :up:

We're definitely living in good times! :w00t:

Can you get it without the giant console and big screen tv in the dash?

Probably not. :no:

I think we're stuck with all the high-tech gadgetry from this point forward.

I personally see it as just more expense and more stuff to go wrong when the car starts getting older. What's worse, is when they do get old and replacement parts aren't available anymore, what will you do?

Everybody complained about the 2008-2014 interior.  I guess it looked to much like the original Challenger's interior.  I thought it matched the car well.  This interior looks like it belongs on an episode of Star Trek.

JohnC likes this

Everybody complained about the 2008-2014 interior.  I guess it looked to much like the original Challenger's interior.  I thought it matched the car well.  This interior looks like it belongs on an episode of Star Trek.

Have there been any other complaints about the previous generation as far as drivetrain/ electrical? Just curious.....

I don't like the shape of the dash, but the gauges are nice. I think I could get past it if the performance and "feel" of the car is there. :yes:

I really don't get these cars with the screen in there. I want to drive... fast and that takes concentration. No time for silly screens! :lol:

Have there been any other complaints about the previous generation as far as drivetrain/ electrical? Just curious.....

Not that I know of.  Most folks I know really like their Challengers.  I was hoping depreciation would set in to where I could afford one.  I've had no such luck.  They hold their value rather well.

Not that I know of.  Most folks I know really like their Challengers.  I was hoping depreciation would set in to where I could afford one.  I've had no such luck.  They hold their value rather well.

Give it time.

I think book value on my 97 GT is like somewhere close to $3,000. :lol:

Far away from what I paid and lost in interest on the loan. :(

When I was growing up, 185hp V8's being basically standard and 225hp to 240HP being the cream of the crop, I never thought I'd see the day affordable muscle cars with in excess of 600hp would be out there, especially from all three of the big three manufacturers! :up:

We're definitely living in good times! :w00t:I

I never thought GM would be funded by the taxpayer, or that Chrysler would be AGAIN.  Camaro and SRT can go straight to commie hell, preferably loaded with late model politicians.  You are wrong; bad times.   End rant.  Have a great weekend!  :)  lol!

Edited by Ashley P

I meant good times for having choices of so many well performing and fast cars. :yes:

Think back to the 1980's and part of the 90's. It wasn't always like this.

I mean, 400+hp mustangs and Camaros, etc. :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cody likes this